Agnostic.com

8 1

Wound up like toys by some force—call it Will, élan vital, anima mundi, physiological or psychological processes, nature, or whatever—organisms go on running as they are bidden until they run down.
Only the force is real, not the things activated by it.
We are only puppets, and if we have consciousness may mistakenly believe we are self-winding persons who are making a go of it on our own.
Here is the signature motif of the pessimistic worldview : We are all mere puppets and behind the scenes of life there is something pernicious that makes a nightmare of our world.

Matias 8 Apr 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If this view happened to be correct, what possible practical use could anyone make of it?

skado Level 9 Apr 21, 2022

Who is this “we,” Kemosabe?

skado Level 9 Apr 21, 2022

I must be misunderstanding. I'm not real, but wind blowing my hair is real? I didn't cause that bad thing to happen, the devil made me do it? Hmm.. I hope I'm misunderstanding.

For me, the "force" is the push and pull of opposites, whether space & matter, light & dark, expansion & contraction, life & decay, produce & absorb, hunger for food, knowledge, experiences, love & the sharing of food, knowledge, experiences and love. On and on everything in a continuum of coming and going, round and round, etc., of creation and destruction, everything has a part in a continual transformation, even if it's just a lump of matter taking up space for the time being.

It's all real, like gravity and the thing dropped are both real. Am I missing your point?

@Matias Well I'd say all those things, including us, are real, but are in a constant state of change or transformation. We are not an eternal constant prime force which is everlasting, but we are real.

My take is that there are 2 basic prime forces, Time and Nature, existing in a field of opposites, which include Space and Matter and all the rest of opposing realities which are involved in the continuum of activity going forth.

The definition of Nature is that which seems to be the prime mover, but it is nothing without the time, space and matter within which it does its prime moving.

So, to me, everything is real and necessary for each each other to exist and continue changing along the path toward balance and harmony or whatever the end goal is. I'm thinking Will is just the striving for that balance, filling a void, a vacuum, with our intentions.

Fun to think about, though I admit to still not being able to make sense of your statement that the things I think are real are really not reality. If it exists, it's real. Those are my thoughts, uneducated as they might be.

@Matias Also, I'd like to add that what you call "Will" I guess I'm calling "Nature" but what good is "will" or "nature" without the void to draw it out and the materials with which to create? All of it is essential to existence, not just the "Will" so alone it is nothing, therefore I submit that it's all real. 😉

The pent up energy in the wind up toy mechanism is just borrowed to be released when no longer being stored, correct? What good is it if there is nothing resisting it and so to propel when released? Just questions I have with your statement.

As good a way as any to abdicate responsibility.

@Matias I agree that morality is not real and determinism would see as just puppets but does that mean we shouldn't act or should you stay sat in front of the steam roller because you don't think you're a free agent? And although nature is amoral, nature perpetuates what works so isn't that a "moral" guide in itself?

creating a rationalization and a excuse for your being doesn't relieve your responsibilities as a person.

@Matias and you would be missing the point. it's very real exactly because it is derived from our imagination. imagination does not mean "pretend", it just refers to source.

@Matias if you don't believe that what is imagined is real, your missing out on a lot of reality. in fact the unreal is invisible if not non-existent.

Slice it any way you want. Not that you really have a choice... (heehee!)

Sounds pretty hellish.

skado Level 9 Apr 20, 2022
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:661936
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.