Agnostic.com

15 8

Why do some people feel a need to always be insulting some other individual or group?

Insecurity?

[psychologytoday.com]

skado 9 Apr 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There are many people who look for reasons to feel insulted or oppressed.

Interesting, it's so easy to understand another from their replies. Once the finger pointing and direct name calling starts they have branded themselves as having deep personal issues.

Before I read the link, I would guess that it's not 'Always' and may be triggered by recent or remembered trauma and/or chemical imbalance.

Now that I've read the link perhaps it's more to do with winning/losing and trouncing the opposition in the game.

I don't need to trounce, I already know I'm the one, ha ha ha, nanah nanah nah .

Sadly some people are just in the habit of stating the negative about everything around them, and might be doing it unconsciously because they don't think too much about what they are saying and how it sounds.

We're all in different grades or levels of maturity. Some of us are stuck without having learned a lot of social refinement, so hopefully it's not too rude to just ignore insults and simply prove the insulter wrong by acting in the best possible ways we have learned to act.

People who insult others habitually are saying more about themselves than the people they are insulting. However, people who are simply stating the truth, or what they believe to be the truth, are simply acting in a way to create awareness about a problem they see needs attention.

I only insult fucking idiots.

it seems to be a common human trait. People like to feel they are superior to someone.It supports their feeling of social position. And some are quiet about it and some aren't.

Not true for everyone!
The corollary is, "Those of you who Think you know everything are Extremely annoying to those of us who do".

Yes…in a nutshell!

Some people are not aware that they are being insulting. Some do it out of laziness because they do not care. Some are left with no other resort by their respondents. Some feel that telling the truth is more important than another's feelings. Some have been raised in sub-cultures where they are not taught any other response. Some feel that belittling others is a way to overcome their own feelings of inferiority. Some enjoy drama. Some want to gain attention. Some want to attract the attention or approval of a third party. Some want to attract attention to what they feel are neglected ideas, which will not get attention unless spiced with drama. Some feel that other human groups are not worthy of respect and that giving them such belittles the respect they give their own group. Some want to attract violence to themselves, as an act of self sacrifice. Some do it to manipulate the mental state of the insulted. Some don't do it, but are thought to have done it.

And probably a lot more reasons.

My favorite new phrase - Ad hominem.
Since I try to stay on topic and know attacking others does not promote an intelligent discussion I refrain from name calling or denigrating another's opinion.

Thank you for this. I have heard of ad hominem but never looked it up. Basically emotion over reason.
"Why should one not use an ad hominem argument in a debate? The reason why you should not is because you diverge from the actual topic, usually because you ran out of arguments. An ad hominem is a clear sign to your opponent that you are defenseless and any good debater will call you out for it and finish you off." Here's even more (maybe it should be posted in tRump Pinata) and I learned even more.

@JackPedigo Thank YOU! Videos are so helpful! There is a member on this site that opens his responses to anything on politics by trashing the Democrats, progressives or anyone who supports Biden. His picture would work well in the definition/example.

I never use that phrase because I think it sounds pretentious. I say INSULT.

@Alienbeing I use it because I feel INSULT has been over used. I've had times during in person exchanges where using an unfamiliar word or phase actually gets the asshole verbally attacking me to shut the fuck up.

@silverotter11 I think using 'insult' appeals to the mindset of the guilty parties. Ad hominem is something the more reasoned based and intelligent among us would prefer.

@JackPedigo That sounds pretentious.

@Alienbeing So what!

@JackPedigo So apparently you aren't quailified to speak on the subject because, as you last reply confirms, you think it is OK to be pretentious.

@JackPedigo I forgot to add that your "So what!" reply is a question, so it should be followed by a question mark, not an exclamation point.

@Alienbeing Keep try9ingto push my buttons but it won't work. To me these comments are just more emotional driven claptrap.

@JackPedigo Not trying to push any of your buttons, you really aren't worth the effort. What I do is correct or amplify your posts.

I like to insult more when I'm winning an argument, it feels nice to rub it in someone's face every now and then.

Tejas Level 8 Apr 21, 2022

Was someone being insulting on here (again)?

it's the trendy way to gain self perceived status, worth, competence ect. and an insult is designed to spread the bull around, to share your inflated sense of "self worth" with others.

Sometimes it's not an insult as much as it is voicing the truth and observation.

And sometimes voicing the truth has no value other than to insult.

@skado It's sad that telling the truth is an insult, the insulted should check their character.

@nogod4me

This is not a post about people feeling insulted by hearing the truth.

@nogod4me what's more sad is the truth is often overrated, incomplete and illegitimate.

@hankster Only to those who live in lies, truth is not an enemy to those who embrace it.

@nogod4me we all live outside of truth. that don't mean its lies just a limited capacity to see it all. they, we don't really know the difference. truth is not made whole and accurate by belief or assumption.

@hankster, @skado This post is about insulting those who insult others by telling them the truth, inadvertently or not.

@hankster For many who live in deception, they don't want to know the difference. Most people know when they are living in lies, if they do not, they are living in denial.

@nogod4me is it?

@hankster Sadly, yes.

@nogod4me is it conceivable that one can be mistaken in their assumptions about another? I believe it is. of course I can't know that but judgementalism is a good way to lie to myself.

@hankster I'm not talking about opinion, who cares about judgemental idiots, like I said, it is insulting to some to voice the truth and observation.

@nogod4me lol...carry on.

I can't improve on what you've said. Perfect replies.

When one realizes the other party is insincere and trolling for the sake of drama, a truthful insult may be the most fitting adios.

@JeffMurray Thanks,

I'm sure Trump would be insulted if someone called him a liar to his face, sometimes just telling the truth is an insult to a degenerate.

@skado “ And sometimes voicing the truth has no value other than to insult.” It can be difficult (for some of us) to not simply state the truth, because some of us have mouths that are closer to our thoughts than others, but I do believe you are correct. I do believe I am finally learning to just keep my mouth shut.

Compensating for their own sense of worth by denigrating everyone else's. The only way some people feel they're on top of things is to try and push other people down. (coughTrumpcough )

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:662040
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.