Agnostic.com

3 1

LINK F.D.A. Moves to Ban Sales of Menthol Cigarettes

The Food and Drug Administration on Thursday announced a plan to ban sales of menthol-flavored cigarettes in the United States, a measure many public health experts hailed as the government’s most meaningful action in more than a decade of tobacco control efforts.

The proposed ban is expected to have the deepest impact on Black smokers, nearly 85 percent of whom use menthol cigarettes, compared with a rate of 29 percent among white smokers, according to a government survey. If effective in reducing smoking, the ban could significantly diminish the burden of chronic disease and limit the number of lives cut short by one of the most hazardous legal products available.

The proposed ban “would, among other things, improve the health and reduce the mortality risk of current smokers of menthol cigarettes or flavored cigars by substantially decreasing their consumption and increasing the likelihood of cessation,” the F.D.A. commissioner, Dr. Robert Califf, told a Senate committee Thursday.

snytiger6 9 Apr 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I quit smoking a few years ago. But kools green pack were my cigarette of choice. Fail the war on drugs, start a war on tobacco. What a joke

Tejas Level 8 Apr 28, 2022

While I support the underlying concept, I am concerned that those most affected are Black. Great if this is sincerely related to helping them with their health.

What they trying to do is better said than done. When $ is involved.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:663216
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.