Agnostic.com

4 2

[nytimes.com]

OVERTURN ROE?!

NY Times. Yes, there is a paywall...sorry

MizJ 8 May 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I find this very frightening. Much of my recent studies in college of the 'American system' of politics and social evolution is based in Roe v Wade.
Consider this, the Roe v Wade rulings have been around for about 20% of the lifetime of the USA.
Its destruction could be the starting gun for a race to destroy the Union as a divide develops between abortionist and non-abortionist states which may generate a religious conflict as the powerful minority of evangelical right throw their weight around forcing the majority to conform to their will.

It's far more insidious than those on opposing sides of abortion. If Roe is overturned it will be the first time the Supreme Court takes away a civil right. Pre-Roe was the Warren Court which expanded civil rights and was on the liberal end of the spectrum. Conservative courts generally follow STARE DECISIS which translates more or less as "Let the decision stand". The activism Of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. started in the 1950s. [en.wikipedia.org]

Also pre-Roe was Griswold v. Connecticut which was about birth control in 1965. Brown v. the Board of Education desegregated schools in 1954. Roe gets more attention but in my opinion it was only one of a handful of landmark cases that brought about the changes.

No Civil War will erupt as the result of Roe V Wade either way, that is an unfounded conclusion.

@Alienbeing unless it isn't.....

@Alienbeing, @MizJ as a European, scary how I know what you're talking about!

@Sofabeast Your reply means nothing, perhaps you have an argument you can present? I doubt it.

@Alienbeing Your doubt is false. I will get back to you and you can counter it. In the meantime, Scotland has pleasant weather and my garden needs doing.

Free link (no paywall): [bbc.com]

Thanks. Someone else posted the article from Politico as well.

Critics have described Alito as an academic who knows little or nothing of how people live.

In the draft Alito is saying to send the matter to the states, He either doesn't have the cojones to outlaw abortion, couldn't find legal justification so is doing it in a roundabout way, or doesn't want to be judged in the future for his role in this.

@MizJ He doesn't have authority to "outlaw" abortion. He can only rule on Federal matters brought to the Court.

@Alienbeing I was being a tad facetious. The Court can rules on cases brought to it by writs of certiorari, cases must be within certain parameters and the Court may accept or deny cases at will and/or send cases back to lower courts. In the past Courts so-called "liberal" Courts have generally been the ones to expand civil rights and thus took cases that allowed them to do so.

@MizJ A "tad"?

You knew it was going to happen...

Seeing it in print made me sick. I also wonder whether the timing will be such as to boost the Republicans for midterm elections. Am going to write a piece about US misogyny.

@MizJ I hope it's a broader piece than to be focused just on this. There are TONS of women-who-hate-women on this pro-life train (not to mention a lot of guy like me who are more in support of women's right to choose than a majority of women even are). Honestly, what percentage of women that you know support unfettered access to free abortions with zero restrictions?
And it made me sick too even though I 100% knew this was going to happen.

@ChestRockfield I know a Catholic nun that supports choice. Yes, she is a small minority but people can sometimes surprise you. Most of the women that I know are pro-choice, probably because other than sterilization birth control is not 100% effective. That said some of those people believe that abortion should not be used as a substitute for birth control.

@MizJ See, that position doesn't make much sense to me. The whole "safe, legal, and rare" line implies that it is actually murder, but that murder is okay as long as you don't do it too often. Either it's murder of a human life and you should only do it if both lives will be lost otherwise, or it's not, and it doesn't matter if you do it every single day. I'm in the latter group of the "camps that make sense".

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:664062
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.