Agnostic.com

40 5

A Handmaids Tale

Who else has read the book, seen the movie or the Hulu series?

Ultra120 5 Apr 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

second season started. watch out for the Handmaidens Camp of Pointless Torture and Sorrow.

I read the book. Now, all of you Google "street scenes in (any Middle Eastern capitol you like) , 1968."
All the women in high heels, trendy 60's western garb, including bare arms and decolletage. Then check the Burkah's they wear now to avoid actual sudden beating deaths.
Now, think it couldn't happen here under extreme religious control?
Be afraid, be very afraid!

There have been and still are Christian Reconstructionist and Dominion Theology/Theonomy groups that advocate the abolishment of separation of church and state....and favor government based solely on Old Testament mandates.....

Might be time to reread the book, in light of the current situation in the U.S. Headed dangerously toward theocracy.

I've only seen the Hulu series. It makes me mad, but I watch it anyway.

Like many here, I read this decades ago and actually dismissed it as improbable, if not impossible. HAH! That was before the treasonous GROPER got into bed with evangelicals who want to manage everyone! I'm glad they made the series...perhaps it'll cause serious thought!

I havent read or seen it except for commercials and I really want to. Is it as good as it looks?

I think it is, though it also pretty fucked up.... honestly.

IMO, yes.

I read and enjoyed the book years and years ago. Of course, that was long before it seemed like that kind of world could be possible. I subscribed to Hulu a couple months ago specifically to watch the series, but I haven't started it yet. I mainly just watch SNL and Golden Girls, much lighter fare. (Totally worth it just to watch my beloved GGs whenever I want!)

dkp93 Level 8 Apr 25, 2018

May I ask...how do you sign up for Hulu? What does it cost? Thanks.

You probably didn't see my comment about knowing Betty White through her dedication to the zoo where I ''work.'' She is EXACTLY who you think she is...naughty, funny, charming, approachable..all that. I once took her into the women's room, during a break during filming a promo for us. To my HORROR...women were sticking papers under the stall door, asking her to sign them! Well, I put a stop to that, but Betty was gracious and kind, even under those circumstances!

@LucyLoohoo Oh WOW! I am so jealous that you got to spend some time with Betty White and that you get to work with animals. Very cool that you fought off her fans so she could pee in peace. 🙂
Hulu is similar to Netflix and you can sign up online at Hulu.com. It's less than $10/month though they do have premium packages that cost a lot more. Unfortunately, unlike Netflix, Hulu does still have some commercials. Once you're signed up, you can watch on your computer, tablet or phone. We have Amazon Prime streaming sticks on our TVs (I forget the actual name but they're similar to Roku sticks) and can easily add the Hulu app to stream (same as with Netflix.) It's all fairly easy to manage once you sign up! Hope that helped.

@dkp93 It does help....thanks very much!

If you like, I'll tell you a story about Betty which exemplifies her life and commitment to animals and our zoo. One night, during a big event, I was asked to take Betty to her car. (She parks in back of the building.) OF COURSE I DID IT...got into a golf cart with Betty and off we went. She was driving a BIG car...not new...but HUGE. Anyway, when I dropped her off, she asked me to wait a minute because she ''had something for the zoo."

She opened the trunk, which was CRAMMED with STUFF. She dug, rearranged, dug and dug some more...finally, she pulled out two Trader Joe's paper grocery bags--full of empty toilet paper rolls. (Our Education dept. uses them as crafts during Zoo Camp and she knew it and, despite her busy life, saved them for us.) I told her we could probably SELL them if she autographed 'em. She laughed and roared off in that BOAT-sized car of hers!

@LucyLoohoo That is so hilarious and awesome and just crazy!

I know it's a highly regarded series, but I watched 2 episodes and couldn't watch any more. A dystopian future of religious fanatics in a new dark age of male domination of women is about as horrible as I can imagine, even worse than aliens taking us over, AI ruling the world, or global corporate fascism or other dystopian themes. I think it is because there are so many religious people who still yearn for exactly this kind of theocratic anti-modernist world in their hearts. So it's a pass for me on the series.

I tried to read it, but it was too painful to finish - I haven't been watching the series for that reason.

Jnei Level 8 Apr 25, 2018

I have read the book and seen the 1st season on Hulu. Will watch the new episode soon!

I was blown away by the book years ago; I should read it again because I hardly remember anything except the ways it made it me feel (riveted, horrified, etc.).

The Hulu series has been interesting...I guess I can say "gripping". I'm looking forward to season 2. But I'll drop it in a hot minute for GoT, not gonna lie...

Yes I watched the series on Hulu. It was eerily scary. Too close to what could be reality.

Yes-the book back in the 80s when it came out and the Hulu series. I just saw the first season and found it scarily compelling.

I've been into dystopian speculative fiction for a long time. I've always been interested in the causes and effects of tyrannical totalitarian regimes, at least from a political science perspective. Whats interesting to me about this story is that it is rooted in an extreme right wing, religious, fringe movement. Typically, authoritative political regimes lean heavily toward the left, exceptions being of course ones where the state is an extension of the predominant religious ideal.

Started watching series. My job is hi ugh drama where I see some awful things..i try to keep my entertainment lighter and funnier. I couldn't stick with it after a particularly episode.

I read the book at college, but have no desire to watch an adaptation due to the some of the subject matter. It was an interesting read though, some of the imagery was great too.

I watched season 1 on Hulu. It was very tough for me. I won't watch another season.

Update: 30 minutes into S2E1 and I’m remembering just how hard this shit is to watch. Fuck...

It's probably one of the darkest shows I've watched in a long time.

I studied the book at college, but have never been impressed with either adaptation, they just don't carry the same sense of fearful menace and brooding resentment the text stirred up in me.

I struggle with the series, I find it so starc and harrowing and even depressing. Mind you I missed the first series so I am not across the the story line other than it is some kind of distopian world born out of some kind of revolution and or consciosness shift maybe?

RonB Level 5 Apr 26, 2018

Haven’t read the book, but love the series. First couple of episodes are really hard to watch so I can understand all of the tap outs, but it is so worth it. I’ve heard season one covers the book so season two is all new material. I’m excited.

Read the book when it was new... saw the movie and the series....Atwood is good...

blzjz Level 7 Apr 25, 2018

I am confident I saw this as a movie quite a few years ago... and didn't actually come here to post but apparently slipped a link. 🙂

Yeah, here we are, it was first done in 1990:

[en.wikipedia.org]

I binge watched it a couple months ago. It is terrifying given the current state of our society!

Me me!! Watching with Hulu. I need to get the book, always better!!

Read the book ages ago. It pissed me off so badly, I haven't been able to go near any incarnation of it since.
I'm really not a fan of dystopian fiction.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:66415
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.