Agnostic.com

4 12

This seems to be a good description of what's happening right now. And it will continue to unfold unless we (who see what's happening) stand up and raise hell.

mischl 8 May 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Considering how less than 20% of journalists identify as conservative, I'd assume this meme is talking about the democrat party.

And it's happening, again, here. Unless...

I have significant doubt that this will change anytime in the foreseeable future. The GOP have stacked the political deck in their favor which allows them to win with fewer votes. They've rigged the system so they can legally cheat and win. Gerrymandering and the electoral collage need to be eliminated and at this point we the people simply don't have the power to do this (in my opinion).

Our only hope is an overwhelming turnout at the polls.

But in the future, the Electoral College needs to go down the toilet of outdated political systems. And definitions of voting districts should be done apolitically, possibly by one department of the census bureau.

And the Dems helped them do it, by taking corporate money and assisting in legislating in favor of corporations, not to forget deregulation.

@MsKathleen It's the system. If you don't get money from somewhere, you don't get to play.

@mischl Which is why we need to change the system, which was designed by a bunch of rich guys to keep themselves in power.

@MsKathleen Actually, "old rich white guys" to be more precise.

@mischl mostly, they weren’t old when they got here. But they WERE in charge of manipulating the religiously-zealous Puritans who came for “freedom of religion”.

@MsKathleen What they really didn't understand (well enough) is that they wanted freedom FROM religion.

@mischl not the Puritans. The Church of England (and probably the government) wanted them gone. [britannica.com]

Gerrymandered voting districts, minority rule, etc.

MizJ Level 8 May 6, 2022

Book banning, making it harder for people to vote, intimidation tactics at the polls, historical revisionism, stand your ground laws, promoting racism, marginalized minorities, etc.

@LovinLarge Indeed. It's a long list that goes directly back to gerrymandered districts and minority rule. That's why the last administration stacking the courts is becoming so problematic, it eroded the checks and balances.

Since both parties gerrymander every chance they get to do so, it evens out.

@Alienbeing . . . perhaps the case, but I doubt there is **actual evidence" of it for either side over time..

Gerrymandering is in itself bullshit and anti- democratic.

@FearlessFly There have been many legal cases, I am researching this and will respond when I have good scholarly data.

@MizJ . . . to clarify, I meant doubt that 'it evens out'.
I also don't know if one side 'dominates' it.

@FearlessFly I am trying to find data from the last decade or so. Gerrymandering has a long history in this country and a lot of it is of course tied to voter suppression. Another factor I am finding is the number of polling places in relationship to the number of registered voters.

@FearlessFly For just one example look into how Democrats gerrymandered Maryland.

I am amazed you think any political party is trustworthy.

@Alienbeing I do not think Ds/Rs are 'trustworthy'.
I have no doubt both engage in as much gerrymandering as they can get away with.
One (even egregious) example does not mean "it evens out"

@MizJ It's not just gerrymandering, early laws like in Jamestown, from the beginning were designed to provide cheap labor and keep the white Christian males with all the power. As things progressed the added benefit was using fear of the other.

@FearlessFly I only referenced one example because I did not feel like doing your research for you. Want another example? Read about New York. NY is a very Blue State. The NY Democrat Legislature so obviously engaged in radical gerrymandering that the NY Court of Appeals (NY State's highest Court with all Judges appointed by Democrats) ruled the gerrymandering null & void. One result is NY primaries this year will have to be delayed while their Legislature tries again.

There are many more examples. BOTH major parties cheat every chance they get.

@silverotter11 Absolutely. It started with all the power in the hands of white landowning males and has never never has that power been equally distributed We never even ratified the ERA. WTF

@MizJ Well it was the Daughters of the Civil War that set out to rewrite the history of slavery in the south and who can forget Phyllis Stewart Schlafly? Some women have not done us any favors either. 😩

@silverotter11 @FearlessFly When I started my research there was so much that I stopped as it was upsetting, I found enough to do a doctoral thesis!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:664704
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.