Agnostic.com

17 1

Whether it's something you heard- or read- have you ever received advice that had a major impact on you?

From productivity & motivation, to health & happiness, ANYTHING in your life really...

What's some great advice or philosophy?

silvereyes 8 Dec 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not really advice, but I did have someone in my life that changed my course through history...

I wasn't always the geeky math type lol. I spent most of my high school days playing guitar and chasing girls. And even though that hasn't changed much, it was my ninth grade science teacher, Jon Myers, who would ultimately change my life forever. He was able to see something in me that I didn’t even know was there and he knew how to bring it out.

Mr. Myers was teaching us how to balance chemical formulas and after a couple of days of having us work on a few exercises, he kept me after class to see if he could challenge me. I'm not sure exactly why he did this, or how he knew that I might be capable of performing the task he was about to set forth. But, he went to his desk and pulled out his college organic chemistry book and proceeded to write out a chemical formula that spanned across two black boards. He told me to take my time and work the problem out. He then contacted the teacher of my next class so that I would not be counted late or absent.

I never really considered myself a mathematician. I didn't even know I had a knack for solving mathematical problems. I was just a long haired kid who played heavy metal on the guitar. I spent most of my time with my girlfriend and thought very little about mathematics. But in that moment while staring at this enormous problem, I realized that I could somehow see the answer. Without hesitation, I walked up to the black board and wrote out the correct solution.

I was a little bewildered by Jon’s amazement when seeing that I had solved the problem. But, I did not use any paper or a calculator to find the solution. I managed to balance the formula within my head which only took me about seven seconds to solve. He explained to me that my ability was a gift and from that moment on I spent more time solving mathematical problems than playing music on my guitar. I probably should’ve substituted the time I spent with my girlfriend instead of the time I used to play music, but that is another story altogether.

I don’t claim to be a genius, prodigy, or anything of the sort. I just have a talent for mathematics which grew into a love for the subject. If it wasn’t for Mr. Myers, I would’ve never known about that hidden gift which enabled me to enjoy a wonderful career as a software engineer and discover many mathematical equations, some which might actually be new.

He is an amazing teacher! After 28 years, he's still at it helping kids realize their potential.

My advisor who was also my friend told me I was too old to get a PhD I went on to get a second masters and half of the third only stopping when my son died.

Of course. My 8th grade Social Studies teacher, Raymond Sprigg taught us about the cycles of civilizations. That fact that their cycles are immutable.
America has been in the decline phase for many years now. One of the signals for this is when we derive pleasure from the misery of others. I believe we have entered the fall stage. What will evolve from it it yet to be determined.

I could say that my navy career and my marriage went hand in hand... I was overseas in Germany (legal separation for 2 years) my final divorce papers arrived in June, I am retiring in August. I have the Option of declining my pension. If I decline my ex wife will not receive 50 percent of my military retirement pension. That was my intention but my Radioman Chief pull me to the side and told me... "50 percent of something is larger than 100 percent of nothing. You may not understand it now but the time will come you wish you would had accepted the Pension". By law because we were married 10 plus years (19 years to be exact) she is entitled to 50 percent of my retirement pay. I listened to my RMC. I am grateful that my stubborn way did not got the best of me. She gave me 3 wonderful kids, never gave me a reason to doubt her... she was a devoted wife. She earned it. Now that is our joke... she needs to keep me alive to continue getting that pension and I need her to die to get her 50 percent. Life is like a box of chocolates! Best Advice Ever as far I am concerned. Thank You Chief.

There are a few people I trust and one of them suggested a book for me, "Anatomy of Peace." It had a large impact on my life and how I interacted with others. I've since worked on other liabilities I have still using the main theme of that book, and my life has improved.

It's a little thing but it's something that has stuck with me for years and has always helped me out.

When I was working on cars, one of the more experienced guys advised me to always check out what would be the easiest fix before I conclude it might be something really bad wrong with the car.

It seems like a simple plan, basically start at the bottom and work your way up. I was wet behind the ears then and it has saved me a lot of headaches since.
I don't know how many new guys I've passed that on to.

@silvereyes Sho `nuff

Yep, always start at the bottom, work your way up. The easy, the obvious. Everything electrical must be plugged to power and turn on. Remove the Operator Error off the Equation.

The Art of Selfishness By David Seabury. The whole point of the book is 1. Never compromise yourself 2. No ego satisfactions -- or -- To thine own self (not your ego) be true.

When I first opened the book, I expected it to be a joke. It turned out to be the most profound thing I have ever read. After 50 years it still holds #1 place.

Yes - from good 'ole Dr. Phil ,

"If you choose the behavior - you choose the consequences"

After that , which was long ago, I strive to be totally accountable for all my choices. I also have learned to see things through to their logical conclusion - to try and foresee the outcome and if needed - explore options, BEFORE I decide to commit to a decision !

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. I followed it for a few years and made more progress than ever before or since. I feel off but I've been getting back into it.

“Never become too attached to your hypothesis.” Carl Sagan.

The book “2001: A Space Odyssey” opened my eyes to the strength of imagination, and also started making me read more and question more.

As for a quote: “... you can’t avoid pain, but you can choose to avoid misery.”

It's not very profound, however, here it goes- you're never going to be happy as long as you keep wanting a bunch of shit.

Ouch on that... my dad told me the more he taught me. the more I forget. What an asshole...

Always treat people like you would like to be treated yourself. It’s not the amount of money you make that counts ,it’s what you spend . My father told me this and I have never had money problems in my life . He also said never buy anything on time .I took this advice and never made payments on anything in my life including a car . He also said never drink or smoke which I never did

I learned from a therapist about conflict resolution. I learned that it can make a relationship stronger and so it does. I learned how to do it and I'm very good at it. That lesson alone was worth all the money I spent on therapy but, of course, there were lots of things to learn but that one I have used consistently and very effectively in every walk of my life.

Did he/she give you advice fornwhen there can be no resolution? My ex is an abuser so it’s not possible. I’m trying to work out how to deal with this in my life. Thanks.

First, congratulations on your escape from a toxic relationship. I hope you are mending and rediscovering your worth. Good for you.

It is very, very hard to have a discussion with someone who's first response is physical violence. They are not open to discussions if they won't listen and typically they don't listen. If you want to write to me, I can explain how conflict resolution works and perhaps that can help you. I would also suggest that if you haven't already, see a good therapist. You will never regret it and my oh my but the things you will learn. It's worth every penny.

Yep.
It was Nietzsche:

He who cannot obey himself
Will be forced to obey another.
Such is the law of nature.

It meant so much to me that I translated
it into Egyptian hieroglyphs and got it
tattooed on my arm.

Yes! either take the class or go to jail. Whew!

"If you continue to pick at it, it will never heal."

Depends on what ‘it’ is. I have this belief and I also have PTSD. My belief ends up burning me more often than not. :/

I think introspection is good for helping us deal with trauma, grief, etc., but obsessing over things probably doesn't help us move into a healthier mental space.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6652
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.