Agnostic.com

10 9

LINK Why are atheists always so angry?

Yes, I'm angry.

ChurchLess 7 May 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The United States has many enemies.

Those who care know that Putin's stooge followed all Putin's suggestions to recover the lost election. Most of those schemes failed, but several only by chance and the residual honor of a few.

Republicans are still preparing to subvert the next election, and most people understand this as an extension of Trump's conspiracies.

The SCOTUS decision is only the opening shot in the coming Christian Nationalist Coup.
This is a theocratic coup that's been in the works for decades, and, again, has significant support from Russia.

I'm usually a happy person when left to enjoy my life in peace and generally pleased with how far we've progressed toward acceptance and inclusiveness.

But then once in a while my happiness gets slammed backward in a rude awakening by religious zealots who wish to put anyone who doesn't wear their brand of halo straight into a living hell. This makes me angry!

A few weeks ago I was floating on a high of happiness, and then whap! Reality of this leaked draft of overturning Roe v Wade mixed in with references from hundreds of years past which could be used to undo all kinds of progress we've made in modern society with reproductive freedom, contraception, sexuality, who we can love and marry.

What is next for the chopping block? Freedom of and from religion, sexual orientation and identification, with those not fitting into a particular framework or political leaning being burned as witches?

Yes, this normally happy atheist gets angry when worried about the direction society is going.

It takes angry people to fight back against oppression. Anyone who relishes freedom and is now concerned our freedoms are being threatened should be angry. Then again, that's how they are winning by putting us into an emotional hell now whether they fully succeed in their plans or not.

So channeling our anger when required to fight for equality is good - but we also have to enjoy our lives fully while we can! Freedom is actually sweeter when compared to the opposite.

Dealing with the stupidity of believers and their lies and ignorance is one thing, but the willfully ignorant are just assholes.

Isaac Asimov states it very well:

“Imagine the people who believe such things and who are not ashamed to ignore, totally, all the patient findings of thinking minds through all the centuries since the Bible was written. And it is these ignorant people, the most uneducated, the most unimaginative, the most unthinking among us, who would make themselves the guides and leaders of us all; who would force their feeble and childish beliefs on us; who would invade our schools and libraries and homes. I personally resent it bitterly.” - Isaac Asimov

LOL I only wrote "Yes I'm angry" because I was required to post 10+ letters. Frankly,...I don't give a damn.

We are not all angry.

not everyone sucks up to their dogmatism.

@ChurchLess

Just because you feel angry does not mean all atheist are angry. That's called projection.

A lifelong atheist, I am a joyful, happy person. Anger is toxic.

FWIW, I asked the web and it replied:

Anger is a secondary emotion
Typically, we experience a primary emotion like fear, loss, or sadness first. Because these emotions create feelings of vulnerability and loss of control, they make us uncomfortable. One way of attempting to deal with these feelings is by subconsciously shifting to anger.

Well it's not because we can't feel God's love!

This quote from the article sums it all up accurately:
“ (Trump is neither a Christian nor a nationalist – he cares only about himself).”

It has nothing to do with religion, but people who pose as religious for the leverage it gives them.

skado Level 9 May 10, 2022

The article says many other things. For example the followers of religion have blindly denied the cancer that the marriage of religion and politics creates.

@Lorajay
Three points:
First, not all followers of any religion.
Second, only some who claim one particular religion.
Third: This particular subset of that particular religion don’t behave according to its tenets.

This isn’t about religion. It’s about religious posers, whether the posing judges appointed by the posing president, or the posing citizens who think it’s just fine.

@skado ( @Lorajay )
Without religion there would be no religious posers.

@RichCC

True.
Without religion there would be no humans.

@skado
??? -- How does religion cause humans?
As far as I can tell it's the other way around. Humans cause(create) religion.

@RichCC
Religion doesn’t cause humans, but it is an integral part of them. The only way religion could disappear would be for humans to disappear. Saying ‘without religion there would be no religious posers’ is like saying ‘without government there would be no government corruption’ or ‘without business there would be no fraudulent businesses’ or ‘without doctors there would be no quacks’.

All true enough, but it’s not useful information. Religion doesn’t cause humans, and it doesn’t cause religious posers. Humans cause corruption of everything they touch. But corruption isn’t the only thing they cause. They also cause honest dealing, more often than not.

Mythology is the collective waking dream of a society. It will no more be gotten rid of than the dreams individuals have at night when they sleep. It’s part of human nature, every bit as much as corruption or honesty or the capacity to learn how to cope with our shortcomings.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:665431
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.