Agnostic.com

6 2

How much of table etiquette you know or follow

Are they still relevant or important to you?

How many of these do you know and follow when you dine out?

• 15 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 2 votes
FrankTjia 3 May 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I was little I went to a Military School for the summer, we were all supposed to follow certain rules and there are only two of these that I recognize. The first and last.

I'm adding another picture because that one was too small to read on my phone.
Answering your question, I would have to say with the exception of the one called finished I don't use any of them. The vast majority of restaurants I go to do not have wait staff that would know what they meant anyway.

[images.app.goo.gl]

As with most communication unless both sides know what is being said, there is no effective communication.  I would hazard to guess that most service people and most patron wouldn't be able to effectively communicate.

Wow, this takes me back to when I would frequent American fine dining places. It was handy to have a code for them not to take my meal when I left the table ("pause" ), but I suspect it's not practiced at more than a few places these days.

I've never seen/heard of this and I rather doubt that 99% of the servers at most restaurants have ever seen/heard this either.

Also, I can just speak my intentions rather than resort to some utensil secret code.

@Garban Ah, okay. Well, I'm certainly not upper crust. I'm not even sure if I qualify as middle crust.

Sign language for utensils - who knew?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:665906
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.