Agnostic.com

3 8

LINK WHO chief: The COVID-19 pandemic is 'most certainly not over'

BERLIN —
The COVID-19 pandemic is “most certainly not over,” the head of the World Health Organization warned Sunday, despite a decline in reported cases since the peak of the omicron wave. He told governments that “we lower our guard at our peril.”

The U.N. health agency's director-general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, told officials gathered in Geneva for opening of the WHO's annual meeting that “declining testing and sequencing means we are blinding ourselves to the evolution of the virus.” He also noted that almost 1 billion people in lower-income countries still haven't been vaccinated.

In a weekly report Thursday on the global situation, WHO said the number of new COVID-19 cases appears to have stabilized after weeks of decline since late March, while the overall number of weekly deaths dropped.

While there has been progress, with 60% of the world's population vaccinated, “it’s not over anywhere until it’s over everywhere,” Tedros said.

“Reported cases are increasing in almost 70 countries in all regions, and this in a world in which testing rates have plummeted,” he added.

Reported deaths are rising in Africa, the continent with the lowest vaccination coverage, he said, and only 57 countries — almost all of them wealthy — have vaccinated 70% of their people.

While the world's vaccine supply has improved, there is “insufficient political commitment to roll out vaccines” in some countries, gaps in “operational or financial capacity” in others, he said.

“In all, we see vaccine hesitancy driven by misinformation and disinformation,” Tedros said. “The pandemic will not magically disappear, but we can end it.”

Tedros is expected to be appointed for a second five-year term this week at the World Health Assembly, the annual meeting of the WHO's member countries.

HippieChick58 9 May 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The GOP has refused to do anymore funding for new ways -ie vaccines, drugs or other treatments - for future or current varients of the SARS-COV-2 virus. Just as a new varient is causing a rise in other countries and the U.S.
I would like to know what happened to the play book the Obama administration had worked up to deal with pandemics.

It is far as commerce is concerned. It isn't for individuals. America is about individualism, not individuals, which is a consequence of a market-driven system so I doubt we will shut down again. So long as vaccines work then I'm not going to sweat it.

The WHO has lost an awful lot of respect, from me at least, during this pandemic. Quite shocking they are heavily financed by Bill Gates, who as a result holds great influence over them, helping set agendas.
Tell this Tedros wanker to define pandemic, because everything I have seen requires two factors which are now over.
The virus is no longer "novel", which just means new.
The spread is no longer world wide; that has happened already.
Pandemic over, epidemic in countries now.

The WHO is pushing for more power to dictate to sovereign nations "if" another pandemic comes along. There is some talk of Russia leaving both the WHO and WTO as these global institutions now treat Russia differently than other countries, showing unacceptable bias. This would be a good move on Russia's part imo as the WHO and WTO stand to lose more than Russia, prestige as world bodies for one and the image of neutrality second.
Once trust in these institutions is gone, very hard to get back.

puff Level 8 May 22, 2022
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:667698
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.