Agnostic.com

26 8

Another confusing matter about religion

As a child coming through Sunday school each week, I was taught that God the Father is perfect. To me that means He has no issues of self. He doesn't lose His temper, get angry and He certainly has no ego which is an ultimate failing. So 1, why would He want to be worshiped? and 2, why would He ever bring hell fire and brimstone?

TimothyIII 5 Apr 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's not confusing. It's made-up. Let's move on and enjoy reality.

Read the Bible... The fictitious god was jealous, and childish, did horrible things... He's a person's excuse for behaving badly. Nothing perfect about the Christian god.

My point exactly!

This is the Christian god I'm assuming...yeah that character is utterly full of himself and in apparent great need of adoration and total loyalty or ya get burned....just had a recent convo about this with a lovely friend of mine who is Pentecostal and trying to save me from burning in hell...she said its ok for god to be all these things we would normally abhor in a person because 'HE IS GOD" lol...wow

Exactly!

He would actively tell us not to worship him, and he would not accept the title "God" because he would be infinitely modest. But the Gods that are on sale are actually creations of the human mind which depict the very worst of human traits - bow down to the vicious dictator or be killed by him.

If god exists and is perfect there's nothing that says that we, humans, are able to understand the what "perfect" means in that context. We think we understand perfection but we have no frame of reference to verify it.

So how could we assert that he was perfect then? We would have no way to know if that was true.

@jeanhartely exactly!

Excellent questions to which there is no good answer.

A truly all knowing, all powerful, all benevolent god would be incapable, inherently, of ever being surprised or disappointed. Anger is just disappointed love. So such a being could not be angry either. It would not care where one puts one's tallywhacker or what one eats for breakfast. It would have far bigger concerns than that, if it's also responsible for the sustenance of the universe and so forth.

There are many other problems with typical theist "thinking" on this, especially fundamentalist thinking. For example god is not supposed to violate human free will, which is the lame explanation for human suffering. But not only is not all suffering a result of natural consequences of one's own actions, but supposedly god routinely violates human free will in sending people to eternal perdition for any of a long list of things he's angry or disappointed or disgusted about. He also violates free will by making heaven a place where you can't sin even if you wanted to.

It loses its temper and it has an ego problem, you answered your own questions.

I have done exactly that in reference to so many religious questions. In fact, I've written a book titled The Third Book of Timothy which addresses these questions and my answers to them.

Epicurus asked himself that type of questions 2500 years ago. No good answers then, none now. Of course, theists have an answer, though a piss poor one...it’s that “mysterious ways” nonsense they always spout when they don’t have a real answer.

Well my friend, I am so passed those questions.........

But I enjoy the investigations into these issues and even though I'm satisfied that I am correct to question, there are still many answers to be found.

Fair enough... Continue your research

1. why the heck did he create Lucifer? (being omnipotent he must have known how that would turn out!) God doesn't exist is the most likely answer...so let's get on with our lives without him 😉

AND if He is omnipresent, then He is in hell also, right?

@TimothyIII ah yes, perhaps that's why he created Lucifer, he didn't like the warmth? 😉

Mr OT god is very different from mr NT god. OT god is very fire and brimstoney. Full of venegeance and smiting a little like the warlike nomadic tribes of 2000bc wandering about in the desert. The more civilised idea of mutual love and respect comes from a more settled lawful era. However 2018 years on we still teach a lot of the former to children to instill good behaviour. A bit like a really grumpy babysitter. ?

Also there is the issue that we are "made in his image". Then does it not logically follow that we are all-knowing?

I am still confused about that tree of the knowledge of GOOD and EVIL. "Their eyes would be open" So, was Adam and Eve lied too??? WTF??

Why not be up front from the git go??

@PhillipSEE I'm always confused about that. If Adam and Eve had no knowledge of good and evil before they ate the fruit, how could they know that it was wrong to disobey Yahweh?

@jeanhartely Exactlly! If one studies the Bible, one discovers so many errors and downright contradictions that I fail to understand why anyone could take if literally and follow it as a guide to life.

@TimothyIII But so many do! Scary.

You would have to study religious evolution, and origins of religion to understand how peopel came to believe in such god.

I have. I did an undergraduate degree as a finance major but in an arts degree program. During that time I took two courses on religious theory including an in depth study of both the old and the new testaments and still have no answers for the basis for these theories.

Any reasonable familiarity with the bible would reveal there is glaring contradiction between your desire to view his character as absent of temper, anger, and ego, and the way he is actually portrayed. Of course the answer is that the primitive, patriarchal, bronze-age mammals who concocted this fictitious character conceived of him in this manner in order to facilitate their own power and control hungry aims, and that was the best they could come up with at that underdeveloped stage of their culture.

Its that fear of not being recognized. You know, being with the big guy and getting some kind bonus points. Maybe shit want happen to me attitude. Thinking something bigger then me built this place and i better realized this attitude. Surrender to it and maybe things will go good for me and my family attitude.

Why would he describe himself as a jealous and vengeful god?
Nahum 1:2-8

Ah, but He didn't. Those folks who wrote the bible had free will and they described Him that way. Therefore, my questions.

1: Because he can't suck his own penis like most of his followers. 2: He learned from Cain that the best way to solve a problem is by killing it. Man-made indeed.

?? Who cares if it's all a lie?

Ah, but is it? It is simply a belief or a non-belief. 🙂

@TimothyIII Then why worry about it?

"So 1, why would He want to be worshiped?"
He doesn't, not ritually anyway,
"I desire mercy, not sacrifice."
Two "Greeks" came to worship Jesus, and He "hid from them."
i could go on, for the rest of the day prolly
"where there is a body, there the vultures will gather"
"2, why would He ever bring hell fire and brimstone?"
depends upon what you are really asking,
Sodom hellfire or afterlife hellfire?

This is really getting old....

An excellent point, evidently He is mainly one huge EGO and if you dare bruce it, your in for some hot shit.

Orval Level 3 May 4, 2018

Because the biblical god was made up.

It's a myth. There is no god.

God has no father, and those daddy issues have always caused him to do and say some pretty askew things.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:66789
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.