Agnostic.com

2 8

Can you believe it?

St-Sinner 9 May 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Being a Canadian of Danish heritage I find this an acceptable and awesome way to wage war. 💪💪🔥

How can they both perpetually drink the booze left by the other? So, I guess I can't believe it...

They leave some for the others every time they visit.

@Fernapple I get what they were trying I say, I guess, but I still think it's disingenuous to claim they drank the booze left by the other if they also brought as much or more booze than they could drink. That's like saying I took money from a cash register when in actuality I made change.

@Fernapple

Ah, this makes more sense...

"The calm diplomatic waters grew choppy in 1984 when Canadian troops visited the island, planted their nation’s flag and left another symbolic marker as well: a bottle of Canadian whisky.

The Danes couldn’t let that stand. The country’s minister of Greenland affairs soon arrived on the island to replace the offending Canadian symbols with a Danish flag and a bottle of Danish schnapps, along with a note saying “Welcome to the Danish island.”

And so began a spirited dispute, one that has lasted decades, with each side dropping by the island periodically to scoop up the other side’s patriotic bottle and replace it with their own."

[nytimes.com]

@ChestRockfield Yep, that is the story I heard. I also heard that they sometimes leave other presents as well, such as badges, small flags and pieces of cake. Sorry though, I can not read the NYT, since there is a bad paywall in my country.

@Fernapple I don't know why I was able to read that. Maybe it's old?

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:669194
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.