Agnostic.com

11 11

LINK American Theocracy

The line between religion and politics has fallen

VickyGraham 4 June 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As a Canadian I have to agree with some of the extreme comments here. The new Republican Party encouraging citizen arming to the teeth with their refusal of any sane level of gun control is very disturbing. There could be one hell of a civil war this time round, as if the first one wasn’t bad enough, with so many walking around (open carry) with military weapons. It feels like a powder keg down there. Especially in the South. Watching the Trump saga made it clear that evangelism was to be just a tool to win bodies to their cause. They’ve made Christianity a joke, as if it wasn’t already headed that way.

The headline made me think it was about a Supreme Court ruling on the prayer at the football game case.

I could never understand why abortion rights aren't fundamentally based on religious freedom. The anti-choice position is patently driven by Roman Catholic theology. The legal cover is that the state's interest in fetal life is not based on religion, but that argument is tissue-thin.

It sure as hell feels that way to a woman facing an unsafe or unwanted pregnancy.

I still don't see where any man has any right to weigh in on what any woman does with her own body.
I never will.

Life is not sacred.
Anyone who says otherwise is a hypocrite.

@TheMiddleWay I basically agree with you however the definition of life is clear.

We have to resist American theocracy at all costs.

Happy that I don’t live in the US.

Decades ago, I read that in the Founders’ times, the late 1700s, the word “respecting” meant “about”.

If that’s correct, today’s originalists can read the first clause as “Congress shall make no law about an establishment of religion, ….” If any state wants to establish a religion, Congress has no power to block it.

I have not read Clarence Thomas’ dissents on establishment cases closely enough to draw any conclusion on his use of the word. In a law library, I would “shepardize” the clause to see what SCOTUS has held.

There is a large body of SCOTUS case law reaffirming the federal proscription against state laws that in some way establish or inhibit any religion. For instance, in Engle v. Vitale, the Court ruled that the State of New York could not institutionalize prayer in public schools. In Cantwell v. Connecticut, the Court ruled that the State could not require a permit for religious solicitations. In Torasco v. Watkins, the Court ruled that the State of Maryland could not require a candidate for public office to declare a belief in God. And in Lemon v. Kurtzman, the Court ruled that the State could not use state funds to reimburse a religious school for its textbook expenditures. In that case, the court created what is known as the Lemon Test, which says that a law is constitutional if (1) it is primarily secular in purpose, (2) its procipal effect neither aids nor inhibits religion, and (3) the law does not excessively entangle government and religion. How is the federal government able to exert this influence over the states? Because the states all receive MONEY from the federal government!

Buckle up kids, we are in for a hell of a ride.

This is what I have been saying. Very few seem to care.

I think most of us here care. And we have been speaking out for a long time.

@MsKathleen I'm talking about outside this bubble.

It’s a human trait to seem to not care until a crisis strikes.

@yvilletom Species flaw.

@rainmanjr This bubble is growing.

@Jolanta Comparatively it's still a bubble but I'm happy for the news.

Yes, the country may balkanize, civil war is possible. Maybe the country will peacefully split into red and blue states. but I suspect it will get much uglier than that.

Thank you Ronald Reagan

The current GOP’s troubles began in the 1950s when its far right, the John Birch Society, and its western conservatives became powerful enough to expel moderates.

Their recruiting the Dixiecrats in the late 1960s brought racism into the Party.

Reagan’s inviting the evangelicals in the early 1980s brought an authoritarian refusal to compromise into the Party.

Activists such as Lee Atwater and Newt Gringrich did more damage to the Party.

The tea parties might have reversed the trend but the Koch Brothers bought them off, paving the way for the demagogue Trump.

If fascism wins in 2024:
1 - Will America have a religious war?
2 - Will the rural red states secede?
3 - Other?

Yes, the Amerikkkan Taliban has grown and sunken its teeth into everything and fully into politics.

If it happens, I fear I will not see The return of those freedoms in my lifetime

I don't think I'll be around long enough to see a functioning democracy again.

My lifetime will become very short.

The arc of history tells me that if fascism wins in this decade, a future generation of Americans will overthrow that fascism and make a government that’s more democratic than our plutocratic oligarchy.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:670095
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.