Agnostic.com

17 0

It was my turn to serve as a juror. "Anyone like to be on a jury duty", the judge asked? How many of the summoned citizens, you think, volunteered?

NatureGal 6 Apr 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One third (1/3) of the prospective jurors volunteered to serve. The rest of us had to see the judge to explain why we couldn't. The case was criminal. The defendant had shot and killed 2 people in 2015. After 3 years, this guy was still free. Not wearing jail overalls, nor handcuffs. It was 4:40 when I was finally dismissed. Most jurors spent the entire day, from 8:30 to 4:30 sitting down. And we were allowed one hour for lunch. Well, how many of able bodied people could do that? I, definitely, couldn't sit for that long. So, I walked inside the courtroom perimeter for 40 minutes.

Obviously, some cases must be amazing to witness but mostly they're going to be boring and time-consuming so I wouldn't want to.

I’ve never been but really really want to

I was one the Grand Jury 20 years ago. We handled 3 capital murder cases and a school shooting. I don't want to do it again. 3 death sentences...

Ugh. I was on a neonatal malpractice civil case once. It was 3 weeks and hard enough. Can't imagine those cases....

@AdorkableMe The photos were grizzly. I don't want to ever see something like that again.

@farmboy2017 I bet not. ?

@farmboy2017 I remember the bullets they’d dug from the victim/s being passed around, blood stained.. It was only attempted murder, though he’d emptied an 8 shot .25 semi auto into one guy (who survived) … with various ricoche~s hitting bystanders. Definitely felt we did our duty.

Did it twice, serious stuff… One attempted murder case was constantly on/ in the news, though I couldn’t look ...having been ‘juror #2,’ of 13… I’d be more inclined to do it now than when juggling kids.. It’s sad we need our arms twisted to participate, but in the moment ..it’s powerful.

Varn Level 8 Apr 26, 2018

I served on jury duty for a week last August, and I thought it was very interesting. It was a criminal case involving a weapon. For those who bitch about having to serve, I just wonder how they would feel, having to wait to find jurors for THEIR trial if they were in that position.

I would think someone would have. I have been on 2 juries and they were both enlightening. The last one was a domestic abuse. Actually, the woman started it and the guy was protecting their daughter. She finally got the message and was leaving and he gave her a kick (with his bare feet). She didn't think about it but a friend got her to make a claim. He knew he was guilty so we had a tough decision (there were 5 women and me in the jury - I told them if they picked me as the jury head I would claim sexual harassment. We found him guilty but the judge gave them both a sentence of counseling. It's an experience everyone should do.

I am still waiting to be called. Became a citizen two yars ago, but nothing so far.

@germangirl90439 Yes, that's tough. I live in the rural county with not much crime, so not that many opportunities. And most peole plead.

I have always wanted to serve on a jury.
I'm probably in the minority however.

I served on two juries. One case was domestic abuse, the other was a homicide. I enjoyed it because it was reality. I don’t watch TV because it’s deceptively synthetic(synthetically deceptive?).

"synthetically deceptive" A Wordsmith 🙂

I was a juror twice.

I was on a grand jury for four months (one day of about 20 cases once a month) and it showed me a side of society that I was only vaguely aware of. There is a lot, and I mean a lot of sexual abuse, domestic violence of a violent kind, and other bad people doing bad things that go on daily. And this was in a county of 70,000. It is a life experience though that I do not regret doing. Plus its' your civic duty.

Indeed...

Zero. (it won't let me just put a 0)

I know. 0 just looked better for some reason.

None? I not to long ago got called for jury duty but due to medical reasons and disability status I got out of it.

My guess is none.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:67225
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.