Agnostic.com

2 3

I like the author likening the Right to a car-chasing dog that finally catches its quarry. They didn't learn a century ago, and won't learn now, either:

[theatlantic.com]

alliwant 7 June 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Very good article, I hope it proves to be true...

Does the author really think the religious right is going to grow out of the belief that 'abortion is murder' the way prohibitionists grew out of their beliefs? These really don't seem like the same thing. I belive is naive to place bets on that or work to compromise by sacrificing ground. The pro-life movement is like a pit bull with a baby and it's not done shaking until there is no more movement out of it. They have been tirelessly working for a half century to overturn Roe, and they're just getting started, not finishing up. No laurel-resting here, they are continuing their push and trying to outlaw IUDs, contraceptive and emergency contraceptive medications (there are already state bills that they're trying to pass for these things I just linked the other day). They're going to shut down online reproductive care, mail order medications, 'abortion holidays', and if they backside at all, anywhere, they are going to fight to get more judges and politicians in their pockets and push even harder. It is a gigantic mistake to cede any ground or think they will compromise or play fair. Every single thing they can do to restrict access to abortion, big or small, they WILL do. Even if it's harmful to children. Even if it's harmful to women. To businesses. To the economy. To democracy. To global standing. There is literally NOTHING they care more about than eliminating access to abortion.

People and movements can and do change dramatically as circumstances change. I agree we are in uncharted water here, but who knows where it will lead.

They won't grow out of it, they will just fall into irrelevance as their numbers slowly dwindle. That's the message I get. The WCTU now has a grand total of 5000 worldwide members, after having over half a million in the late 1920s. Of course, I could be wrong and the backlash will be much more severe because of the large number of needless deaths likely to occur due to Dobbs.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:674063
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.