Agnostic.com

5 3

After the overturning of Roe , some people compare SCOTUS with the Taliban and fear that a kind of sharia will be introduced in the USA.
Here are some informations about abortion in Islam and its law:

Sharia is not a consistently written book that can be pulled off the shelf at will to make life a little harder for women. Instead, the Sharia comprises the religious obligations and prohibitions of Islam derived from the Koran and the traditions of the Prophet Muhammad (Sunna), such as inheritance law, dietary regulations and criminal law.

Since the Shari'ah is not a large, static reference work, Islamic law is thus primarily understood through the doctrine of legal interpretation, which can often come to different and sometimes contradictory results. Religious plurality is not an exception in Islamic sources, but the rule - as is the case with the issue of abortion.

The four schools of law are anything but unanimous, and there is no binding norm-setting authority, such as the Pope in the Catholic Church. Legal scholars must therefore compete with each other with arguments - and for the majority of Sunni Muslim scholars, life begins neither at the moment of Conception, nor in the first stage of development. It is when the angel Gabriel breathes the soul into the embryo on behalf of God. According to the Islamic view, Gabriel does this after 120 days, i.e. in the fourth month.

The majority of Hanafis and Shafis (two of the four legal schools of Sunni Islam) therefore permit abortion before the 120 days have passed. Some sources consider abortion permissible only under certain circumstances - such as when there is fear of not being able to care for the child. For example, if other children are still dependent on the mother's breast.

Despite all the differences, legal scholars agree on two points: If the mother's life is endangered by a pregnancy, an abortion may take place. Unlike in the US debate, abortion has never been compared to murder.

Matias 8 June 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Lets not sugar coat their culture tho. Ive found out first hand. Thats all im gonba say. Murder me for it or not. But pretty much humans are just tribal/backwoods shitheads all over the earth. Thats what we are. (for the most part)

Abortion in America is compared with murder because of the nonsense that American's believe. One of the biggest is that abortion is used as birth control. Why would anybody be so dumb as to believe this? Even so, the gullible want to believe it. Clinics have free pills for those that need them. Strange that Islam has a more tolerant view on abortion. Stranger yet that the GQP is pushing a political agenda that seems to be sucking in Evangelicals bigtime. In the last year the Republicans gained a million new members. That's right. One million.

I believe that if the crowd that made this happen has everything they want, then anyone who is female would be wearing a burqa. If you control women, you control the population-and they know it.

It's only a comparison statement. Not a direct template. But I don't much use the term as I prefer to simply call the Q Party Christian Taliban. I think that's enough comparison.

@Matias I call them that or Cons.

@Matias
Qanon

Sometimes called GQP (after GOP).

I never would have believed this could happen 15 years ago. And now it is a reality. Talking about the injustice of a theocracy is not enough. There has to be action taken.

@Anabucerias If threat of a Theocracy is not enough to spur humans into action then I don't know how to help them.

You are correct. Reality is always more complicated. Even the Puritans allowed abortion, and up till quickening, which can occur even into the third trimester (rarely).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:674467
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.