Agnostic.com

4 0

Do people become more religious as they become old?

Please share your opinions.

• 3 votes
  • 6 votes
heetendra 5 Apr 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I haven't, if anything I've got more vocal about not being religious 🙂

I think it may seem that way, but I think old peopel are just lonely and seek to be a part of a group or community.

As animals we evolved in groups for safety and survival. Older people feel safer as part of a group as it increases their likelihood of survival. Those animal instincts we evolved with are still working in us, and so old people will move towards religion more out of animal instinct than actual belief.

In general I think more people become more religious the closer they come to the end of their life, I suppose it is a comfort to them to believe that they will carry on after their body dies. For other people I think they become much less religious or more secure in their atheism as life experience has taught them that there is no god and there is no afterlife, at that point you have put away childish thoughts of an afterlife and are focused more on enjoying life to the fullest while it last.

Zero Vote. I got old being the same Atheist I was as a child.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:67475
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.