Agnostic.com

13 4

I am a bit angry, frustrated and fed up with the members of this site. The fascist religious right of this nation is trashing our liberties at this very moment. Yet all that happens here is some posting of news stories, personal rants about various religions, arguments about how much science and religion might be intertwined, sob stories about how a member can not find their soul mate and complaints about neighbors.

Why is there not any actual organizing or exchanging of actionable information we can use to stop the fascist religious right wing of this nation? Or is every one on here afraid to get out and actually do something?

creative51 8 July 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I feel that your comment is a little US centric.

While I definitely sympathise with your frustration, and your desire for people to just do something rather than sitting around talking about it, many people on the site are from other countries and have no ability to influence events in the US, so this site probably isn't the ideal place for a call to action.

That said, I hope that there are both national and local groups in the US working to oppose the things you mentioned and I don't see any issues if you wanted to promote such groups on this site and encourage people to join them or start their own local group where none exists.

People outside the US can still look at/discuss the situation and see how easily rights can be removed, and guard against similar things happening in their own country.

I am listening to the news and they are talking about what the SCOTUS has done. Gun rights, access to guns has been expanded. Congress has passed a law to help stem the use of guns and help people spy on their neighbors. A good thing at times. No abortion, this is for the Christian idiots that have no idea what this will do or allow to come to fruition.
I think the arm of the political party that is putting these ideas and laws forth is looking for a civil war, as this would bring about a lot of strife and confusion under which they could consolidate their power and take over.
No political party has the strength or ideas to bring forth a system that is going to work for the poor. The poor are the people who are making this nation go, they produce the things that are sold and they provide the services that help all the people.

Best wishes with your quest, the world certainly does need more active sceptics, to stand up for human rights. And there maybe places in your country like this one [humanists.uk] which does a lot of active work. I think that there are places and sites for that, it is just that this site is not one of them, and there is room in the world, for both the politically active and the social friendship community. Like me many members here are not from the USA for one, so for us it is more of a pen-pal site than a political institution.

You might look in your community to see if you have an INDIVISIBLE chapter near you. I do and they do good things. What you are talking about is more in their arena. [indivisible.org]

I think some of us come to this site to get away from the things that divide us and try to find like-minded thinkers. Maybe let off steam, find inspiration, etc., but to find what we have in common more than disagreement, though there are any here who simply like to disagree with everything.

When it comes to politics, there is a divide. People are on one side or another, so I think the goal would be to try to find what we can agree on, or share our differing points of view in ways that is thought provoking but not combative. Hopefully somewhere in the conversation those who think (wrongly, haha) will come to the correct way of thinking (mine, haha) and the world will be grand, hehe!

Other than that, I believe many of us just plan on creating awareness in other ways, showing support or participating in the various marches, letter writing, wearing t-shirts with catchy slogans, etc., and plan to VOTE.

Talking about how the religious right is trashing our values is a bit like preaching to the choir here, but yes coming up with inventive ways to share our views with those who CAN make a difference or are on the fence is good. Maybe to try to share with the non-religious right that their ways of thinking are being pushed on them FROM the religious right, but they likely already know that and are simply selfish. (My opinion of the right.)

When people share differing political views, it often ends up with blocking, unfriending, hiding, excluding, so sometimes a softer approach might work. I don't know.

If you have an idea that a group of agnostics can make a difference, please share it. I'd be interested in participating in something that would really make a change, but I'm drawing a blank in how this particular site can help turn the world around toward a better direction, except in continuing to soothe, enthuse, uplift, inspire, challenge each other to make differences in any way we can. I know that some of the secular organizations have campaigns of billboards that say for example, "I'm Atheist, and I vote!" to create awareness.

Agnostic.com is not primarily a political hub. Those of us who are political activists are organized by other means. You want some pointers?

you're a natural follower seems like.

Read your last sentence, and then think.

Are you afraid to get out and actually do something?

@creative51 If all or a large part of that is true, you were a one-man show and didn’t learn how to cooperate with others.

@creative51 Bye.

The left wing is also fascist. The answer is easy.

Tear up the Patriot Act which will make the Pentagon accountable, plus remove all the surveillance powers of Homeland Security, NSA, CIA et al.
Go back to the pre 9/11 days, where if the US wanted to utilise military might, it needs to go through Congress. This will stop the use of predator drones in countries the US haven't declared war on.

A good start would be dropping the BS charges against Julian Assange, who the US is pursuing more than Snowdon who actually stole information from his work place, unlike Assange who merely released information to the public as it was in their interest ie the actual role of media.

puff Level 8 July 2, 2022

I posted that I am spending my Independence Day driving to San Diego and marching for my civil rights. Were there a March here, I would still go to SD to march. I am registered here as an Independent. I get to decide what primary I vote in, so I chose Republican because I want to unseat my Representative, the disgusting Trump advocate and sedition participant, Paul Gosar. And, I have registered to be a poll watcher. At nearly 73-years of age, I have been protesting since I was 16. Maybe you need to go out and organize the young people.

Letting under 35's become president would be a good move (and ban over 70's)

I agree with you Creative51. So, why don't you get this idea moving? Instead of just suggesting ideas for others to do, how about you be the one that leads the charge? Come up with a realistic plan of action and let us all know how we can participate.

There are many who are politically active on this site. Mention of it is null and void as what is someone a thousand miles going to do to help. The do not vote in the same state or know of the particulars in that state. Do not assume something for which you have no evidence.

We vote! You?

I’m a lot more concerned about the radical greens on the left who seem hell bent on destroying this country with their war on American energy which is causing skyrocketing fuel and fertilizer prices increases which in turn are fueling rampant inflation.

I see this is one of the people you are talking about. He is free to post his rantings and show us that he is a RINO, but we are an accepting group and talk to these people as we feel fit to do so.

Petroleum companies are raking in huge profits while gas prices keep going up. Don't blame activists and environmentalists for the problem. Its the corporations that destroy and pollute the environment while getting richer and richer.

@Charles1971 Wow, it's almost like Big Oil is trying to sway the vote towards the GOP, because whoever is in the WH when gas prices go up is the one who is going to take the hit at the polls. Such an old dodge but still an effective one because there's a whole lot of stupid out there.

@Trajan61 Your sanity and common sense falls on deaf ears with these deluded demoshit nitwits LOL

@richiegtt That it does.

@dalefvictor A Rino is a Republican in name only like Romney and Cheney. I’m definitely not a Rino as I detest those people.

@Charles1971 So you don’t think blocking pipelines and banning drilling on federal land had an impact on fuel and fertilizer prices??

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:674839
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.