Agnostic.com

5 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Republican in code is hypocrite. Cannot have one without the other.

Hypocrite!

They wear hypocrisy as a badge of honor!

They believe they are above the law.

Betty Level 8 July 26, 2022

Just because you are against gay marriage does not mean that you have to hate members of you family who are gay.
Attending his son's wedding is not an act of hypocrisy if it was done out of love, it is actually quite courageous and shows he puts family ahead of party and prejudice.

I hate religion but I attended my nephew's Christening and accepted the honour of being his godfather in order to have him be a part of my life, I see no difference

There is a difference between an individuals choice and in a law the denies that choice.

@Betty
I did not say that there was not.

@LenHazell53 "it is actually quite courageous and shows he puts family ahead of party and prejudice."

Yet he votes to take that option away from his constituents. He's allowed to put family first but no one else can?

@Betty He voted against the Respect for Marriage Act, he did not vote to end gay marriage. Respect for Marriage Act was rushed through after the over turning of Roe V Wade when it became clear that the precedent set by the SCOTUS could be used to overturn the previous supreme court decision declaring the legality of gay and interracial marriage and return such decisions to the state legislature instead of federal law.
The only way to prevent this was by amending the Defence of Marriage Act and making recognition of gay and interracial a federal law.
No one was trying to end gay or interracial marriage, nor could they.
Glenn Thompson choice to vote against the passing of the Respect for marriage act, no mater how ill thought out, in no way was an act of hypocrisy, when he obviously approved of his own son's wedding, just typical republican stubbornness against federalism, centralisation and big government.

@LenHazell53 That is not how it has been presented in the original post.

@Betty That is why I always fact check

@LenHazell53 True, but it’s also interesting how personal experience can inform one’s political decision making. The article also stated that “One of five Republican senators who has already confirmed a yes vote on the bill is Rob Portman of Ohio, who declared his support for same-sex marriage in 2013 after his son came out as gay.”

I wonder how his son feels about that. Could these guys possibly be any more hypocritical?

I am speechless as to how blatant "they" are. No awareness, no ethics, no conscience. The GOP of the new millennium.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:678535
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.