Agnostic.com

7 16

Eating lots of highly processed foods is linked to faster cognitive decline.

My father died of colon cancer at 51. He loved processed meats and was a chain smoker. I was 24. Immediately I eliminated cancer-causing processed and preserved meats, beef, fast food, deep fried foods, donuts, and pizza from my diet. Never drank soda pop. "Soda pop is a non-food," I told my daughter. "It's just nasty chemicals and sugar."

Instead I cook at home from scratch. In my 20s, I learned to cook with cookbooks and practice. I avoid processed foods including packaged mixes. Tastes like chemicals.

In a study, adults who ate more processed food saw a 25% faster decline in their ability to plan and execute a task than people whose diets did not contain much processed food.

As if an increased risk of obesity, vascular problems, diabetes and cancer weren’t enough, the study found a correlation between high consumption of processed foods and impairment of a brain’s executive functioning — the region that processes information and makes decisions.

More than 10,000 people were studied over 10 years in Brazil, where ultraprocessed foods comprise 25% to 30% of total caloric intake. Before and after the study, the middle-aged and older participants were given cognitive tests and were asked about their diet.

Industrially made foods that contain oils, fats, sugars, starch, protein isolates and additives like flavorings, colorings, emulsifiers and other substances were included in the dirty definition.

At the end of the study, men and women eating the highest amount of ultraprocessed foods showed a 28% faster rate of global cognitive decline and a 25% faster rate of executive function decline when compared to people who ate the least amount of overly processed food.

“Independent of the amount of calories, independent of the amount of healthy food that you try to eat, the ultra-processed food is not good for your cognition,” said study coauthor Dr. Claudia Suemoto, an assistant professor in the division of geriatrics at the University of São Paulo Medical School, to NBC News. “I know that sometimes it’s easier to open a package and throw it in the microwave, but in the long run it’s going to cost you some years of life.”

Researchers not involved in the study said its results tracked with other findings.

“While in need of further study and replication, the new results are quite compelling and emphasize the critical role for proper nutrition in preserving and promoting brain health and reducing risk for brain diseases as we get older,” Rudy Tanzi, professor of neurology at Harvard Medical School and director of the genetics and aging research unit at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, and not part of the study, told CNN.

“The data is incredibly strong that foods that are not part of the Mediterranean diet — foods high in fats and sugar, and now we can add to this list foods that are highly processed — absolutely, positively do contribute to one’s risk of cognitive decline and ultimately dementia,” Andrew Budson, a Boston University neurology professor who was not involved in the research, told NBC News.

At the same time, it is a correlation, not a proof of cause and effect, an Alzheimer’s expert noted.

“An increase in the availability and consumption of fast, processed and ultra-processed foods is due to a number of socioeconomic factors, including low access to healthy foods, less time to prepare foods from scratch and inability to afford whole food options,” Percy Griffin, director of scientific engagement for the Alzheimer’s Association, said in a statement obtained by NBC News. “It’s troubling but not surprising to see new data suggesting these foods can significantly accelerate cognitive decline.”

[aol.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'd be interested to see an analysis of the relative contribution of the various confounds. Socioeconomic status, environmental factors, saturated fats, alcohol intake (because I suspect there would be a correlation between processed food intake and alcohol use) and the different chemicals present in processed vs unprocessed foods etc. I note in my country that poorer people tend to consume more processed foods. I'm not sure how that works because it costs more, but maybe it's an education thing.

@Cyklone

It's hard to prove correlations vs. causes.

@LiterateHiker it's impossible to prove correlations vs cause with a correlational study, that can only be done with an experiment, but an ANOVA would give an analysis of the relative contribution of the various factors and I would be genuinely interested in the other factors

Einstein had something to say about that…..

I think when neurology studies become more mainstream the link between nano particulates from internal combustion engines causing disorders the tide will change

Do you have any info you could share about this? I would be interested to know more.

@Redheadedgammy There’s some interesting stuff coming out re dust emitted from tyres as they’re used. Just to highlight not about the impact, as that’s still unknown, but the ubiquitous nature of tyre dust. Lemme see if I can find it….later….

Here’s the article. We obviously spell “tyre” incorrectly in Oceania.

[kuow.org]

@Zealandia Thank you for finding this and posting. It’s just another chemical that is wrecking havoc on the planet, animals and humans. I hope the manufacturer’s won’t try and slow walk this, and get to work finding another way to preserve tires.

@Redheadedgammy Yeah, it’s a bit of a worry. What surprises me is how recently tyre dust has been identified as an issue that requires further investigation.

EV’s are great emissions wise, but obviously generate even more tyre dust as they’re heavier. Might be a challenge to find suitable replacement compounds.

@Zealandia I hadn’t even thought about EV’s being heavier. That would create more drag on the vehicle I am guessing? Interesting issue to think about. I hope some really smart person can figure out something to replace the poisonous compound now being used to keep tires from deteriorating.

@Redheadedgammy I’m not that much of an engineer, however am aware batteries aren’t as energy dense as fuel, so a lot more weight has to be carried around to get the same range as fuel.

The heavier vehicles are going to mean roads requiring repairs more often.

I think finding suitable tyre a compounds that are safe for humans and offer the same durability is going to be a challenge.

I eat less meat, but not totally vegetarian. I cook from scratch because I'm cheap. During the summer I make a large "salad" on the weekend for my weekday lunches; usually a mix of veggies, quinoa, and some sort of dressing. Later in summer as my garden tomatoes ripen I will be making vegetable soups and freezing them for my winter lunches. My breakfasts are usually some form of oatmeal, with flaxmeal and chia seeds added. During the summer it is a cold fruity oatmeal with Greek yogurt added. And my dinner many nights is Miso soup with lots of veggies. My snacks are usually nuts. My downfall is chocolate, that is my drug of choice. I never drink soda, I cannot drink any carbonated drinks. Beer is out also, and many wines. I never smoked (maybe 5 cigarettes in my life, and those over 40 years ago.) I have outlived my mother by nearly 20 years, she had ovarian cancer at age 45.

I've been on a gluten free diet for 25 years, before that I ate a mix of good home cooked low sodium foods and some "junk" food. The "processed foods" I buy are canned tomatoes, some vegies, beans - things I am going to use to make chili, soup or a casserole. All are the no salt added organic version. During the summer of course I use the fresh version and I do freeze some but I don't have an extra freezer, just the one that's part of the fridge. All of it is organic.
Thing is there is not a damn thing I can do about moving forward in time, currently 69 and the brain seems to be functioning very well, IMO😏😁🤣.

Sounds pretty good. I don't generally eat canned veggies, especially beans, because they have more salt than I like.

Have you looked at automatic pressure cookers? Two cups of beans in our Instant Pot takes an hour, is less work than opening and discarding a can, and tastes better. It even yields a couple of cups of aquafaba. We have the smaller Instant Pot -- it takes up less counter space.

@RichCC Oh, I make beans from dried but sometimes I need to put something together quick, even the canned beans come in a no salt added version 🙂.

I didn't know about a specific link between processed food and cognitive decline but I believe it.🤔
I wonder if keeping your mind engaged doing the kitchen work (even the dishes) is part of it?

It makes me think of a local take-and-bake pizza shop that has a dinner salad that I like.
The salad makes one good meal but it's a certain amount of effort to eat -- it has varied items like dried tomatoes, olives, different greens and grated cheese and you kind of have to work through it. Eating it 'feels' a lot like having one of my own self-made dinners especially with the olive oil and vinegar tweaks I add.

I do remember an interview years ago of a career nutritionist about different fad diets and weight control. He said that the most important factor was exactly what you said -- cook your own food. He said that was by far the best habit and that it had much more effect than any other diet practice he'd looked at -- vegetarian, keto, organic or whatever.

@RichCC

I love how you wrote:

"I do remember an interview years ago of a career nutritionist about different fad diets and weight control. He said that the most important factor was exactly what you said -- cook your own food. He said that was by far the best habit and that it had much more effect than any other diet practice he'd looked at -- vegetarian, keto, organic or whatever."

People think I'm weird because I cook from scratch. I only like a few restaurants in Wenatchee. Vietnamese, Italian and European cuisine. Guess what? The chefs cook from scratch.

"I want a green salad with a grilled chicken breast and whole grain bread," I told the server at Bob's Burgers and Beers. "Can you do that?" He said yes. We Democrats were gathered watch a political debate.

To my disgust, I was served processed mystery loaf with grill marks, saltine crackers, iceburg lettuce, and two cucumber slices. I didn't want to make a scene.

All I could eat was two cucumber slices. $25.95 plus tax and tip. From then on, I only order tea at that restaurant. Democrats meet there.

Your bread looks really good. You should consider selling it

Unity Level 7 Aug 2, 2022

@Unity

Nah. Making bread is a six-hour production. I go through it fast.

I need to make bread (ran out) and it's 109 degrees outside.

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Bread is a staple of my diet. It's delicious as toast.

@Unity, @Lorajay, @RichCC, @silverotter11, @Redheadedgammy

You inspired me to make bread tomorrow.

@LiterateHiker Name a loaf for me. 😉 I’m currently not eating bread to see if some swelling in my arthritic knee will go down. I love home made 🥖 🍞

@Redheadedgammy

Hope your knee feels better soon.

My favorite is whole wheat oatmeal bread. Cooked oatmeal makes up the liquid in the recipe, very different from, and totally superior to, bread made by adding raw oats. The bread is light and bright; it has a rich creamy flavor- very subtle but with great warmth. It's delicious lightly toasted. Recipe is from "Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book."

Cooled loaves freeze beautifully. The bread is so moist, it doesn't dry out in the freezer.

I use 65% whole wheat flour and 35% unbleached white bread flour.

@LiterateHiker I think it's time for you to share that recipe.

@LiterateHiker The picture is divine! It looks so good and your description is making my mouth water. LOL. Never thought of cooking the oatmeal before. Sounds really good. 😉

@Lorajay, @Redheadedgammy

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Bread

For two loaves:

1-1/3 cup old fashioned rolled oats
2 cups water
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons dried yeast
1/2 cup warm water
3 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup oil (I use grapeseed oil)
3 cups finely ground whole wheat flour
2 cup unbleached white bread flour
2 tablespoons cold butter.

1. Cook the oatmeal in the water for 10 minutes until thickened. Stir in oil, salt and honey. Cover and let it sit for several hours or overnight.

2. Dissolve the yeast in the 1/2 cup warm water.

3. Stir the flours together. Mix the ingredients together. Even if the dough seems very stiff, don't add water just yet. The flour will absorb water from the oatmeal slowly, so the dough softens as you work. Knead for 10 minutes. If it still seems stiff then, add water gradually by wetting your hands and kneading until the dough holds as much water as it requires to become soft and supple.

4. Knead for 400 pushes. Knead in 2 tbs. tiny chips of butter.

5. Knead a total of 500-550 strokes. Halfway through the kneading, you can gently tug and pull dough out flabby-thin. The surface will be plenty rough with little craters all over; the dough will tear easily.
    When the dough is fully developed, it will pull into a paper-thin sheet, smooth and bright. When you hold it to the light, you can see the webbing of the gluten strands in the sheet.

6. Form the dough into a ball and place it smooth-side up in a greased ceramic bowl. Cover and keep in a warm, draft free place. After about a half-hour, gently poke the center of the dough about 1/2" with your wet finger. If the hole doesn't fill in at all, it is ready for the next step. Press flat, form into a smooth round, and let the dough rise again as before. The second rising will take about half the time as the first.

7. Press the dough flat and divide into two. Shape into balls and let them rest, covered with a damp cloth, until very much softer. Shape gently into standard, 3" x 4" greased pan loaves.

8. Let rise once more, in a warm place, and bake about 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

Tips -

1. The night before, take out flour from the refrigerator.

2. While kneading, oil your hands and wrists. Also oil the board. I use grapeseed oil.

3. Cover rising dough with a damp, lightweight (muslin) cloth. You don't want it to dry out.

4. I use a heating pad covered with a triple-folded bath towel to rise bread dough. For the first two bowl rises, set the heating pad on medium. For the final rise in the pans, set it on high heat.

5. If your dough is bouncy and has risen well in the pans, slash the tops of the loaves with a wet sharp knife or razor blade,- about 1/2" deep- before putting them in the oven. Hold the blade almost horizontally. Zip...zip! See how I slashed the loaves? Slashing creates a higher rise from the bottom.

@LiterateHiker thanks

@LiterateHiker Thanks so much for the recipe! 😘

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:679474
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.