Agnostic.com

7 8

LINK Ron Johnson Suggests Putting Social Security, Medicare up for Cuts Every Year

(First of all, Social Security is NOT an entitlement, as Ron Johnson claims. It is government provided insurance, for which people have paid premiums for all of their lives, against getting disabled or reaching retirement age and not being able to work. Before social security, people literally starved because they could not afford food, or froze to death because they could not afford the cost of heat in the winters. At this point Social Secruity has saved millions of lives.)

Republican Sen. Ron Johnson of Wisconsin suggested putting Social Security and Medicare up for potential spending cuts every year in an effort to rein in the national debt. ...

snytiger6 9 Aug 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Another Republican attempt into moaning about the National Debt. Who was it that said "deficits don't matter?' Oh, yeah another extreme Republican. These people tout things when it suites them and to blame the other side for the country's ills.

Over the last 40 years, every republican president has increased devicit spending, and every democratic president has reduced deficit spending.

Jimmy Carter, 1977-1981, increased deficits, but a lot of that was money beign spent to help get us off fossil fuels. Reagan threw out Carter's energy plan, which if followed would no w have the U.S. on at least 50% renewable (non-nuclear) energy sources.

@snytiger6 Too bad the average voter is unaware of this fact and the republican voter is just plain stupid of any history. Maybe we should ask if these deficits might be reduced by instilling a more progressive tax system.

That's not even Ron Johnson's idea. Florida senator Rick Scott came up with that one!

For as long as I can remember there has always been at least one far right elected official wanting to end social security.

We should put Senator Ron Johnson up for a trip to the guillotine every year! 🤬

How about instead of passing bigger defense budgets each years, with votes that are almost all Yeses, that we start cutting the defense budget every year, in order to cut the national debt? Along with repealing the Trump tax cuts and restore the marginal tax rate to the Eisenhower years level? Don't want to do that?, then it shows that it's not about the national debt at all, it's about beating up on the poor and lower classes, and favoring the rich and corporations. What a fucking, lying hypocrite!

I'd have no problem with that, but it would cut into the profits of large contributors to campaigns... so I don't think it is likely to happen.

Rich morons like him, don't have a clue how the other half live.

They don't have a clue, and they don't want to know about it..

Because nothing says America like sick and dying elderly homeless people.

I suggest putting Ron up for cuts every year. No joke.

Yup, let's put the pay of congresscritters up for a vote every year, oh wait, we already do, and imagine that, it passes every time with an almost unanimous vote... to raise it...

@TomMcGiverin It wouldn't take effect until the following year, anyway, so not an effective method of vengeance. Nor do I agree with doing so as we'll get nobody competent to run a nation if we don't pay them enough. I do agree with stopping participation in WS or other income-beneficial benefits except speaking fees.

@rainmanjr I disagree with you on the pay issue for congress. Not everybody who is competent would refuse to run, look at Paul Wellstone and Bernie, for example. The obstacle to getting competent and uncorrupt people in congress is not people being too greedy to run if it paid lower, the problem is how much someone has to either be rich already or have sold their soul in advance to get or have enough money to run and win federal elections.

@TomMcGiverin I wouldn't work for too much less than I could make in private sector just for the honor of serving Americans. We've hardly demonstrated a value to uphold but there is some degree of hope. I'm poor so if I wouldn't then there may not be a lot of Wellstones or Bernies to stop the next coup attempt (and one is coming, I'm afraid).

@rainmanjr I still think you are more materialistic than maybe a lot of other Americans who could be competent leaders. Money is not everything to everybody, certainly not to me. As long as the job payed enough to afford living in DC and having a decent standard of living, I still think there are plenty of competent folks who would do it, esp. if they felt they were making a difference and helping. It's the same reason lots of people become teachers, social workers, etc. even if they could make more money in the private sector. I think you are just too cynical about it. The issue is how much money it takes to win a federal election and how to get it, not how much they are paid. I agree with the rest of your comment tho...

I was poor most of my adult life, and that's a big part of why I never had kids. There are plenty of other people who have made that same decision, partly because they cared more about serving the public or helping people, than making enough money to afford kids. Including lots of teachers and nuns.

@TomMcGiverin I'll cop to being cynical but I'm also a minimalist. I would accept a bit less than going rate, for the honor, but not a great deal less. Yin/Yang is part of all actions and events so there is no such thing as "doing good" works. All of it just kind of works out until it doesn't. We might very well be in that period of time when it doesn't.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:679776
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.