Agnostic.com

6 0

LINK Author Salman Rushdie stabbed on stage before a lecture in New York

"Famed author Salman Rushdie, who has endured death threats from extremists for decades, was stabbed Friday before a scheduled lecture in western New York, according to state police.

A man stormed the stage at the Chautauqua Institution, about 70 miles south of Buffalo, at about 11 a.m. and attacked Rushdie and an interviewer, New York State Police Maj. Eugene J. Staniszewski said in a statement.

"Rushdie suffered an apparent stab wound to the neck, and was transported by helicopter to an area hospital. His condition is not yet known," according to the statement."

WilliamCharles 8 Aug 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sad prognosis...He might lose sight in one eye. Long recovery predicted.

""He's off the ventilator, so the road to recovery has begun," his agent, Andrew Wylie, wrote in an email to Reuters. "It will be long; the injuries are severe, but his condition is headed in the right direction."

[reuters.com]

Heavy does some pretty good summations.

[heavy.com]

I would think his security team would be a little more on the ball.

@FvckY0u - how many times did people try to attack him though?

@FvckY0u - just wondering out loud. The report said the attacker had no problem reaching Rushdie on stage. It's not like the president with the secret service, but it seems that they could have/should have been in a position to intercept the attacker sooner. Hindsight is 2020, but people that piss off Muslims face greater danger.

I just saw his Curb Your Enthusiasm episode. It was quite amusing.

@FvckY0u - No, Rushdie.

And what happened to the perpetrator?

"We're monitoring the situation. Rushdie is getting the care he needs at a local hospital. I'll be giving more information on the identity of the perpetrator and the case that'll be brought in that part of the state."
NY governor

[timesofindia.indiatimes.com]

It's my understanding the perp was apprehended.

Purportedly in the neck.

Sadly, pretty damn serious. He may lose an eye.

[theguardian.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:681153
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.