Agnostic.com

5 9

LINK Paraplegic shooting suspect can avoid trial by choosing to die by assisted suicide

Spain has legalized euthanasia. And the courts are finding it applicable for certain persons that would be facing life in prison. #fascinating

Spain Legalizes Euthanasia
[google.com]

SeaGreenEyez 9 Aug 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I guess it saves taxpayer money but seems like the easy way out.

Where there’s a will, there’s a way. No one needs legal permission to die.
[cbsnews.com]

skado Level 9 Aug 13, 2022

Wow, with absolutely no remorse on his part at all, just whining about the physical limitations he has as a result of his own actions, he's not a sympathetic character at all, is he? I don't see why his desire for relief - and to avoid the consequences of his actions - should take precedence over the rights of his victims. Better yet, I like @HippieChick58 's suggestion that his victims get to decide his fate.

@SeaGreenEyez I get that, and I'm not a proponent of punishment as vengeance, but I don't consider their desire that he stand trial as vengeance. In this instance, he's clearly looking to maintain control of the situation first but committing the crime, and then by avoiding a trial which could help his victims get some closure.

If he still wants to end his life after the verdict, he should have that right. I'm not sure how long the process is, but I don't consider it wasted money to maintain his care through the trial.

@Lauren l agree with SGE. Why waste the time and money. Why drag the family through this by having them relive this in a long drawn out process. There is no closure when you lose someone, no matter how they die. In the end there is only acceptance. Get it done and over with.

@Sticks48 @SeaGreenEyez I get what you're saying, I do. And I agree that people who view closure as "making it all makes sense" or as a way of lessening the pain, will not find it.

However, there is a healing brought about by being heard and vindicated. It helped the healing of Larry Nassar's victims to be able to confront him in court. The victim statements of her victims against Ghislaine Maxwell provided a healing for them that Epstein's death before trial cheated them out of. His suicide alone was not enough. The victims in this case did not die. They must live their lives changed by the experience and probably by physical limitations due to their wounds.

Granted, even Epstein did not take the amount of money that caring for this man may. But is the cost alone a good enough reason? Perhaps there is a way in which the victims can be given the power to approve of or decline this decision. I'll be interested in hearing what you find out.

@Lauren We will just have to disagree. You could still have a meeting where the family get to be in a room, confront the accused, have their say, and then let him be off to his end.

@Sticks48 Not a big disagreement then ... I think that would be a viable solution.

I think he needs to live through the trial. His victims deserve to be heard. Then maybe they can end his life. Or let him suffer as his victims may be suffering. Or let the victims decide if his life should be prolonged... That would be justice.

Sounds reasonable.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:681338
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.