Agnostic.com

9 14

LINK Protesters demand Utah require clergy to report sex abuse

If there is an exemption to LDS clergy having to report child sex abuse, then the LDS church and the state are complicit in child sex abuse and should be held accountable.

It's good that this hypocrisy is being called out, but I am not very optimistic since Utah is basically owned by the Mormon church.

OldMetalHead 9 Aug 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was raised Mormon, and I never really cared for how the church tried to control my life and make decisions for me, rather than let me choose my own life path.

The Mormon church is different in that they have no "professional" clergy. Rather, all men are ordained to the priesthood and different members are "called" to fill leadership positions for usually about four years or so. So, no matter what leadership title a person may hold, they are "laymen clergy". Nobody gets paid for their leadership work for the church, as the work is technically "voluntary".

Despite this the Mormon church also takes the legal position that their non-professional clergy are bound by confidentiality and the sanctity of confession, like regular clergy in other churches are. In fact they go so far as to claim that since every male is a priesthood holder, then they are all bound to confidentiality whether or not they hold a leadership position, which would usually hears confessions.

Thus, they tell members if they break confidentiality, then they can face legal consequences for doing so.

It is just this kind of structure which makes many other religions think of Mormons as more of a cult, even if their own church(es) has/haves similar policies.

So, basically if one member of the church tells any male of wrong doing, including sexual abuse, then they are told they have to keep the secret as they are obligated to confessional confidentiality.

Women are taught they have to obey the men in all things, and if they have problems with any church members to talk to church leaders.

Thus any dirty laundry seldom gets out, as it the church structure manages to contain it all almost all the time.

As a teen, I was "called" to be a secretary for my age group and I at first said, "no". Then I found a group of adults talking to me and pressuring me to comply until I agreed just to be left alone. That is exactly what happens if anyone disagrees or doesn't fall into line. For me, who always had doubts, it was the beginning of the end, as we were also studying the old testament in church, while in high school we were looking at Greek myths, and to me the old testament was looking like the stories were also myths too.

Anyway, I spent a summer traveling in Asia, visiting Japan, Hong Kong (which was still a British colony then), Thailand, The Philipines and then visited Hawaii on the way home. I was traveling with other students, and it was the longest time I had spent outside of Mormon church culture and influence. When I came back home, I stopped attending church, because I had experiences life away from it, and life was better without the church.

If asked about my likelihood to ever say what I'm about to I would have laughed in defiance. But I'm betting on sex abuse.

They are no different than any other institution that cover up their crimes.

Betty Level 8 Aug 23, 2022

LDS: Latter Day Sinners.

Wait? Aren't clergy BY DEFINITION required to report all crimes?

Only to their own particular Magical Sky Fairy.

Not if their policy is to handle it inhouse.

You mean they aren't already required to report sex abuse? WTF?

@OldMetalHead That's FUBAR.

@OldMetalHead Hey the ancients just threw babies with any kind of deformity into a chasm...

With all the revelations (and not the Jesus' kind more are demanding the the churches all become more transparent. So much has been swept under the rug there's no more room left under that filthy rug.

Utah should be renamed as MORMONVILLE!

The catholics have done this for centuries. Such a bullshit scam that allows abusers to go unpunished.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:682776
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.