Agnostic.com

11 13

What's up with camouflage pickup trucks?

Lately I noticed two camouflage pickups and a camouflage jeep in town. Invariably they have a waving American flag and signs for Trump.

What is the reason for camouflage on a vehicle? In Washington State it is illegal to hunt from a moving vehicle.

I don't understand redneck culture.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's a possibilty they belong to a militia group loyal to holy orange baboon. It's so sad that people believe in his bs like a religion. The term "anti christ" would fit 45 the best. If, I still believed in the bs.

Back in the 'eighties, I was driving a tractor-trailer headed for El Paso. I passed by a military air base and was baffled as to why the troops were wearing woodland camouflage uniforms, when there wasn't a tree in sight. Along that stretch of Interstate-10, there aint nothin out there except desert, Spanish Bayonets ( a form of cacti), and beer cans. Also, a few very bored looking goats, who like to munch on the beer cans. It turned out that the military was going camouflage-crazy at the time, to boost morale.("It'll make em feel commancho-esque, just like Rambo!" ). Many ordinary, beer-swilling, potbellied Trumpies like to feel 'commancho-esque' too. It's kinda like a grownup way of playin Army! Thus the camafloogie pickemup trucks. We've got em around here too. In Florida, swamp-pattern camafloogie is popular. (Makes em feel like gators a lurkin in the grass!).

@davknight

Hilarious! Thank you.

They are insecure redneck morons trying to look macho.

Little boys who grew up and have become tired of their GI Joe toys.

It was camouflaged and you could still see it??? What sorcery is this????

Why would you want to spend your time in their head?

When visiting America I noticed that usually the classic Rednecks of Virginia & Florida drove red pick-ups often with camouflage sofas in the back.
Worldwide the social norm for a fighting pick-up is white with a selection of heavier weapons in the back such as Dshk, 23mm AAA, Browning .50 or a recoilless rifle.

Perhaps they are all running bird watching drives, to teach tourists about the traditional values they have for the beauties of nature ? (British humour, sorry.)

Low-lifes that are too cheap to get repair work painted over.

Reminds me of an old 1955 Chevy step-side pickup truck we had for a while. Ha, ha.
It still had the original engine and the outside body was in excellent shape.
-- as long as you didn't look at the undercarriage.🙂

We found it parked in a barn where a farmer had been using it as a tractor for years. It was a truly ugly green color and the paint job was covered with sort of streaks where the owner had used a broom to paint it with flat green enamel house paint.🙂

It made a good conversation piece but you had to be careful where you drove it. Reliability wasn't its strong point. We bought it more as a gesture to the farmer as a friend than anything else.🙂

You could have taken a hammer to that finish and I doubt you'd be able to see what you did when you were done. But we did finally sell it to a sort of collector mostly for the perfect original body. He intended to sand blast it clean and see if he could give it a new paint job.
Our high school had an auto body paint room but I never found out if he got around to trying it or how it turned out.🙂

That's a good question. Back in the 70s I read a story that they said tested common vehicle colors for visibility. Their number 1 choice was day-glow yellow. The number 2 was bright white. On the off chance you don't know where your truck is, it helps to be able to see it. 😋
BTW... snow isn't a big concern in most of AZ.

We had a white suburban for years.

I don't know why you'd want a camo vehicle unless that's part of your GI Joe fake warrior self image. It strikes me as more gun-fondler play acting.🙂

In the UK grey has for a long time been the most popular car colour, which has to be the worst possible choice, since it is effectively camouflage against tarmac roads, and about the lowest possible visibility. I have long thought that the govenment would stop a lot of crashes if they just made bright yellow or orange the only legal colours, and what would be the cost, since who cares except the truly vain, what colour their car is.

@Fernapple

My father was an owner of an insurance company. He told me the color of vehicles that had the most accidents.

#1. Grey. The same color of the road. People can't see them especially in failing light.

#2. Red. Incites drivers like bulls. Red cars get the most tickets.

@LiterateHiker I once had a brown Datsun B210 hatchback. I loved that car!!! But I swear to Christ when I got in it me and the car became invisible! People were always pulling out in front of me. Finally it was totalled by a woman who just plowed into the front side panel.
I had a silver grey Toyota Tercell next and never had any problems. Now I have a white Subaru. But that brown Datsun was invisability cloaked.

It is an alien lifestyle to me and some of 'em are real pains in the ass in a parking lot. My worse experiences with drivers has been right here in Ellensburg.
From 1973 to 1993 I lived in the Seattle area. I never encountered rude assholes like I have around here in Ellensburg. Both in the car and on my bicycle.

@silverotter11

I know what you mean. I live in Wenatchee and drive a small Honda car.

Men in huge trucks rudely blast across roundabouts, not letting me turn right or left. They constantly cut me off and aggressively tailgate. Assholes.

@LiterateHiker WOW! Sorry to hear it's up there in Wenatchee too. ☹️ Don't even get me started with my bike episodes with large truck drivers AND loose dogs!

@silverotter11

While hiking I was attacked by eight dogs. The dog owners never apologized.

"They're friendly!" a woman yelled far below. I had hollered to them to call their dogs. Two women had released six dogs at the trailhead. Dogs were required to be leashed. I was snowshoeing.

The six dogs rushed me as a pack, barking and growling. Two jumped up on me, knocking me sideways in the snow trench. My face was at the level of two growling German Shepard bared teeth. It was terrifying.

I had given my poles to the man (my date) behind me. He did nothing to help me. I would have slashed at the dogs with the poles.

Somehow I pushed myself up and got away. My knee ligment took six months to heal. I refused to see that man again.

@LiterateHiker There are reasons we don't carry a gun, not that I could actually hit what I'm aiming for. Owners and their dogs off leash🤬. Mace! Mace would have been helpful.

@silverotter11

Mace is illegal in WA State. Now I have pepper spray. Sometimes I'm tempted to spray the dog owner, too.

@LiterateHiker Oh! Thanks for that info, I was not aware Mace was prohibited here.

I’ve never seen a camo Ute (Kiwi name for trucks) in this part of the world. Agree, it’s a bit weird.

However, a few ex Korean DMZ zone vehicles were imported a few years ago, so there’s some around somewhere.

[stuff.co.nz]

Both Korea and Aotearoa are left hand drive, plus it’s very easy to import vehicles from overseas. I’m driving a Japanese import Honda at the moment. It speaks Japanese every time I get into the car.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:683575
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.