Agnostic.com

11 3

Since the word "Evil" seem to be used in many different forms.

What is you definition of the word "evil" baring the known religious definition?

Betty 8 Aug 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I once believed that the word "evil" was reserved for those who committed extreme harm out of convenience, hate, or pleasure.
I've heard the word "evil" used to describe an annoyance, impatience, frustration, and dislike.
To me that reduces the word "evil" to describe displeasure therefor changing the definition from one of extreme to something more common.

Betty Level 8 Aug 29, 2022

Evil is deliberately taking actions with the intent to harm others or having no regard whether your actions directly harm others.

The Republican Party, especially the religious right.

Callous disregard for others, inflicting pain, whether physical or psychological.

Mean, cruel, and callous. Is "evil" a part of all of them or a level above?

@Betty I think all of these are components of what I would call "evil". They also fall under the umbrella of the dark triad: Machiavellianism, narcissism, and psychopathy. "Evil" has no otherworldly meaning for me -it exists in certain humans, maybe some animals as well. It may come about as a result of a brain abnormality. Certain abnormalities with the prefronral cortex have been observed in psychopaths. If this is responsible, then "evil" is not a choice, in my opinion. If it is seen in otherwise normal individuals, such as those who supported Hitler in Europe during WWII, or what's happening in our own country today, then it is.

Well, I have been callous to my ex-boyfriend who keeps contacting me. I am short with him for my own sanity. Though to be honest I don't know for a fact that he is truly hurt by me ignoring him, or just claiming he is to make me feel bad.

He calls me mean and cruel for not letting him back into my life in a meaningful way, but I have to prune his presence out of my life for my own sake. I don't feel this is evil, as it's being done in the spirit of self care. I guess this makes me selfish, but if I didn't do it, I'd be inflicting pain on myself, so it's a choice, the lesser of two evils.

I think we are all mean to people, to some degree, at some point in our lives, without rational causes sometimes, but due to emotional strains or psychological problems. Perhaps that is just a sprinkle of evil -- but not what I'd call pure evil.

So, while your definition is a good one and perhaps true, hopefully there are loopholes! I don't consider myself evil, but admit that I am knowingly cold to some people. 😉

@Julie808 That's totally different. You are protecting yourself from someone whom you no longer want to see. That's not callous, just moving on.

@Julie808 sounds perfectly reasonable to me!

The ability to knowingly do physical and/or emotional harm to others.

Is there a level at which it becomes "evil" or is it just pure "evil"?

@Betty does it matter?

@MsKathleen Maybe or maybe not. Just curious how the word had changed its meaning over time.

Trump

I've heard that one before.

Glad I read through the answers! That was going to be mine! 😂

Intentional causing of pain, whether physical or emotional.
unintentional happens (you fall out of love with someone who loves you, for example) but "maIice aforethought" is key to me

Intentional and with forethought seems to fit the best.

That's right

Except for colloquially, I don't really use the word. I don't think it can be adequately defined, as any definition of that concept is rife with subjectivity and bias. I also don't believe in free will, so it seems unfair to use such a prejudicial word when the only difference between one that would be described as evil and one that wouldn't is how lucky they were in the 'will you get the mind of a psychopath' lottery.

Sociopath

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 29, 2022

There is no such thing as an absolute evil, there is merely a spectrum of good an bad things, with no dividing lines and most things being in the middle. (The bell curve.) If we like to give the most extreme end of the spectrum a special term, such as, evil. Then well and good, but the big danger with that, is that we lose sight of the fact that all things sit on an unbroken line.

In many ways it would be impossible for a creature such as the devil, as a champion and embodiment of all bad things, to exist. Since to be a champion and successful promoter of bad things, he would have to exhibit some qualities, such as courage and charm to succeed, and then he would not be all bad.

The idea of evil, that there are things which are always bad, is an absolute, and absolutes without qualifications or nuance are basically just a form of justification for laziness. "I do not want to do any more thinking, therefore I will put a label of, DONE, on this." But wisdom is always in the nuance, and is always found by effort. Which is why religions love absolutes, because absolutes can provide a justification for laziness. And justifications for being lazy are products which it is easy to sell, since everybody wants to buy some of those, we all have our lazy moments. While at the same time putting a, finished, stop here, label on things means that there is a barrier to anything which could challenge the fake authority, which is the other main product which religions are trying to sell, since we all have our cowardly, don't want to face this, moments, when we want someone or something else to make the choice.

So religion using absolutes of so called good and evil, such as. "Thou shalt not kill." Is then forced into a position where it has to oppose even kind and caring acts of killing, such as, assisted death, and abortion. And remember that's just to enable the other "sins" of laziness and moral cowardliness. The more you try to avoid addressing contradictions, the more you end up making.

What is your definition of "evil" Not the religious definition. Just what you would consider evil?

@Betty I would consider evil to be the most extreme of bad things, the point being that a hard and fixed definition would be, and is itself, an evil generally.

The word "evil" has been used to describe so many things even annoyances. How do you use the word?

Too long to read.

@Betty My main point is I tend to avoid using it at all, because I do not think it is a good word. But if I did it would mean very bad things, but with a very fuzzy edge.

@Fernapple How do you feel about the word "evil" being downgraded to casual? In person conversations we have facial expressions, body language, and tone to give clues on the intensity of certain words. With the written statement it becomes more difficult to determine that said intensity.

Were you a philosophy major in college? 😁

@Betty That is very true. Interestingly, Plato wrote about that same thing nearly twenty five centuries ago.

@Betty, @Barnie2years No I am just a dumb ass redneck.

@Fernapple Dumb no, smart yes. 🙂

To me it's a conscious human choice made specifically to cause harm and/or reap gains at other's expense.

I don't think there is a supernatural force called evil -- so I don't believe in that. I do believe it is knowingly causing harm or distress to others, when a better choice (for good) could be made.

I don't think we get punished in a supernatural way for doing evil, but there are natural consequences doled out by our peers, and the consciousness of guilt (in most people) which serves as punishment or a hell of sorts.

I like that. A deliberate intent. 🙂

That's right I agree with you

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:683929
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.