Agnostic.com

5 12

LINK Satanic Temple lawsuit reveals "pay-to-pray" invocation practice in Boston

The Boston City Council used to pay clergy members to deliver an invocation at their meetings and only stopped the practice after The Satanic Temple requested the same opportunity.

That pay-to-pray revelation came during a deposition of Christine O’Donnell, Boston City Council Compliance Director and Staff Counsel, late last week as part of a lawsuit the Satanists filed against the city in early 2021.

The backstory here is that twice, in 2016 and 2017, The Satanic Temple’s Boston chapter formally asked the city council if their members could deliver an invocation at meetings. It seemed like a fair request, given that the city’s unwritten rules allowed council members, on a rotating basis, to select community members to give those opening remarks. No council member, however, stepped up to give Satanists that opportunity.

The Satanists argued in their lawsuit that Boston’s invocation practices discriminated against people who held unpopular religious beliefs. The lawsuit noted that, between 2011 and 2017, there were 233 invocations, disproportionately awarded to Christians, Muslims, and Jews. None of them were given by “Wiccans, other Pagans, and Native Americans.” ...

snytiger6 9 Aug 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Money can get you Justice sometimes

I hope they win the lawsuit.

Why is this Not surprising..

I love it! About time these morons learned the 1st Amendment. If this flows to a proper conclusion, they will stop all religious invocations at City Council meetings and all other public functions.

That doesn't surprise me the least bit. Sort of surprised they let Muslims and jews though.

Indeed..then again it is a vengeful Abrahamic grift..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:684302
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.