Agnostic.com

60 10

How do you handle people who tell you that they will keep praying for you?

I’ve spoken times and times again about how Christianity makes no since to me and heaven and hell being completely illogical and I still get them wanting to pray for me. I guess I have to say I feel really bad for them cause it must really suck to live in a world where you’re convinced everybody that don’t believe like you is destined and sentenced to a ridiculous eternity of punishment. Talking to them really is like talking to someone with the attitude of a wall.

EmeraldJewel 7 Apr 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

60 comments (51 - 60)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I say "thank you" and leave...

If they're being 'aggressively religious' then I feel they have, themselves, almost 'declared war' - in that circumstance I don't feel THEIR feelings deserve to be 'protected'. How I respond will depend on me, and how I want to respond.

If, however, they are NOT being 'aggressive' then I don't have any desire to cause them distress.

I just reply "Thank you" and leave it at that. I do the same thing when someone says "god bless you" when I've done something they're grateful for. Really no point in being a dickhead atheist over such meaningless expressions.

I ignore them.

"Your time to waste bucko"
Or
"I'll ask drop dead Fred to watch over you in return"
Or
"Ah prayer, the most sanctimonious, vainglorious way of doing fuck all ever invented. knock yourself out."

If you don't care about them, you could say, "Anything that keeps you off the streets."

I ignore the everyday lalaland prayer unless the situation demands something tangible...

R1LEY Level 2 Apr 28, 2018

The miracle of prayer, the only person guaranteed to feel better, the one who is praying...

Don't waste your time as an atheist I am going to hell generally stuns them enough to quit.

Not very well

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:68498
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.