Agnostic.com

6 11

Trapped underwater, how I nearly died in a kayaking accident.

Ten years ago, I dated a medical doctor from Little Rock, Arkansas. Charlies flew me back-and-forth. In April, we drove three hours to kayak a river in Tennessee.

It was a hillbilly kayak rental outfit. I pointed out that they broke four safety rules:

1. No lifejackets.
  2. No helmets.
  3. No guide to show us where to go.
  4. No “sweep” to bring up the rear and help people in trouble.

“This is unsafe,” I insisted. Charlie argued. “Let’s try it.” You can’t try rapids, I replied. Launch your boat and you’re committed. “Are there any other kayak rentals in this area?” I asked. No. Charlie badgered me into relenting. I didn’t want to spoil the trip. My good manners nearly killed me.

Kayaking a series of rapids, my kayak suddenly flipped and I was swept under a “strainer,” pinned underwater beneath a big tree that had fallen into the river with its roots attached to the bank. Strainers are deadly. I took a big breath just before flipping underwater.

“I’m not going to drown on my watch,” I thought.

Trapped underwater

The powerful river pushed me under the tree from two directions. Trapped underwater and holding my breath, I tried different things in quick succession. Couldn’t pull my body through the tree with my arms. The water force was tremendous: 7,000 pounds of pressure. Tried climbing the riverbank, a vertical high wall of mud. ("F-king Tennessee," I thought.)

Then I got an idea.

It was counter-intuitive because I was trying to get to the surface. Pushed myself down to the bottom. Held a branch to keep myself down. Scrabbled around with my feet, desperately searching for a big rock to kick off. Found one.

Bent my knees and kicked as hard as I could off the rock. Used the power of my hiking legs. Blasted sideways through the tree. Grabbed the kayak as I shot by and held it over my face to protect my eyes from branches. The kick brought me to the surface away from the tree where I was aiming.

Sweet air! Quickly lunged to grab the kayak that was being swept away by the rapids. Stay with your craft. It took three tries to roll into the kayak. Was trembling and shaken.

Bent down to fix the footrest that was knocked askew. It felt calming to sit in the kayak breathing air. Then I sat up and looked around as I shot downriver.

A dozen people were madly paddling upriver to help me. How nice. But they couldn’t reach me because of the rapids. Waved to show I was okay.

“Has anyone seen my paddle?” I called. “I’ve got it!” a man yelled. “I’ll come to you.” He handed me the paddle as I shot by. “Thank you!”

Still had to concentrate, paddle and steer. Miles to go. Nearly cried with relief when I finally spotted the landing. Was too tired to lift the kayak onto the truck. Two men kindly did it.

“You were underwater a long time,” Charlie said when I arrived. “You messed up your hair.” I showed him my cuts and abrasions. “I’ve seen worse,” he dismissed me.

Asshole. I dumped him shortly thereafter.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

asshole is right

You posted this a short time back...maybe a month or two but I distinctly remember it...fyi

@phoenixone1

You inspired me to check all of my 2022 posts. Not there. Maybe I posted it in 2021 or 2020. It's been on my mind.

Over 20 kayakers drowned in rapids in local rivers this summer so far. Breaks my heart. They didn't check the conditions.

Year after year, 100% of the people who drowned in local rivers and lakes were not wearing a life jacket.

With two men in August, the first launched his kayak in the Little Wenatchee River's rapids, immediately went over a waterfall and was killed. His partner looked at the the huge rapids and pulled back. He saw it was too dangerous and lived.

We have had enormous snowmelt from heavy winter snow. The Cascade Mountains got over 20 feet of snow in one weekend in June.

@LiterateHiker found it...😁...Three weeks ago...did a screen shot so you could see the post after it.

@phoenixone1

Thanks. It was a comment, not a post.

@LiterateHiker I stand corrected...

Knowing what I know about me I would’ve panicked and the ending would be different. I am really bad underwater.

@antman

Many people panic and drown. Others stay calm and problem-solve.

When my brother, 9, fell through the ice while ice skating, I thought 10 steps ahead and rescued him. Other kids were jumping up and down and screaming.

I was standing on a neighbor's beach. "Tony, are there oars under that rowboat?" I asked an older boy who lived there. Yes. "Quick, let's push the rowboat onto the ice to get to Lee. We can use the oars as poles."

Lee was jumping up in the hole to catch a breath and tiring quickly. His clothes were soaked and he was wearing hockey skates.

Needed Tony's strength. When we got to the hole where Lee fell through:

"Now hold the back waistband of my pants and don't let go," I told Tony. "I'm going to lean over the side and grab Lee's jacket. Tony, you need to counter-balance me."

I leaned into the icy water and grabbed Lee's jacket. "Now pull!" Together we pulled Lee into the boat. I was 12 years old.

I have been river rafting exactly twice. The first time, we had an excellent guide who knew the river well and commanded the eight rafters with great expertise. The second time, the guide took, what even I could see, was the wrong way. I was thrown out onto my back, onto the rocks. Needless to say, I went back to camp with the chuckwagon after lunch. Trust your instincts. Every time.

Didn't you post this a few weeks ago?

@Flyingsaucesir

No, I didn't post this a few weeks ago.

@LiterateHiker Huh. I read something very similar a while back. I thought it was you who posted it. I must be mistaken.

We are trained NOT to rock the boat as girls and women. I have been called names because I've gone with my gut and refused to do anything I felt unsafe. I looked at those involved and told them they are not worth dying for. And Arkansas, I will drive miles out of my way to never go through that state. I have never had a good experience there. I'm glad you're alive to tell the tale.

@HippieChick58

Thank you. I learned from this to trust my judgment on safety.

And say NO to avalanche risk, unsafe trails, etc. I stoutly refuse.

I am so glad my parents forgot that part of my training.

@Lorajay I am so glad you were able to grow up without that baggage. I have coached younger, usually female coworkers about it is OK to assert yourself in the workplace. You have the right to occupy the space you are in. One team lead was composing letter for the company as I watched, she softened the language. I told her she was speaking for the company, to use the voice of the company and not soften that message. It was like a lightbulb clicked. I love those moments.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:684997
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.