Agnostic.com

12 1

How much control do you have in your life?

Internal - My efforts determine what happens in my life.

External - My life is controlled by outside forces (powerful others, chance).

• 2 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 28 votes
  • 2 votes
SteveB 7 Dec 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm a work in progress

You always have chance. I see it on fail videos on YouTube. Some people get lucky and some get utterly screwed with all sorts of incidents.

you can die of a heart attack any time but try and eat healthily or be careful crossing a road yet a lorry can mount the curb.

I voted other because it is a question which doesn't have a straightforward answer. So, I'll paraphrase Spinoza; "The only people who have any control are those who realize that we have none."

I picked both. Internal control is something most of us with a sound mind can control. We can also control our external life to a POINT. We will never have full control of it because we are in a random world full of diverse people and multiple uncontrollable possibilities. We must make good decisions and hope for the best.

Knowing which is which is the key!

I'm guessing around 5%, but that might be kind of high. I can make decisions based on possibilities that are present. My efforts compared to all other efforts <. (😕)

I can only control my actions.

I try and keep a handle on things in my life. Operative word being "try".

Otherwise, I believe control and security are merely an illusion. A personal perception that may, or may not exist.

Interesting Q. Having lost control - I’m now in total control. As in, raising a family and maintaining a homestead is over; following my own desires has replaced that. The shift was ..life threateningly traumatic.. though I survived ~

Varn Level 8 Dec 6, 2017

Definitely both. Is illness an outside force attacking your body ? I can control what I do to treat that illness internally by my decisions?

I feel that circumstances arise in everyone's lives that are unforeseen and beyond our own control (hurricanes floods fires, auto accidents where others are at fault.) and these are unavoidable, but how we respond to act is within our own control,

Donna Level 6 Dec 6, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6857
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.