Agnostic.com

7 4

Charles III is the head of the Church of England. Evangelical right and fascist maga call themselves Christian Nationalists. Our constitution is supposed to prevent that. The Founders established this nation as a secular nation. This is not a Christian Nation it's a Secular Nation. UK is a Christian monarchy by definition.

barjoe 9 Sep 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When the Founders established the constitution, they may well have intended that, not having a state religion would eventually lead to a secular nation. But thanks to the law of unintended consequences, what they did was to privatize religion, and make it a for profit business, thereby adding an extra layer of motivation to its promoters and giving it the freedom to operate any way it wanted.

One day, since uncontrolled capitalism leads in the end to monopoly, a single franchise may become able to establish an industry standard. The Microsoft of American religion could be, Evangelical Christianity, and all other belief systems will have to work within its framework or fade away.

Yes, but your Microsoft analogy is a bit dated. Not quite the monopoly it was, thankfully.

@David1955 That's the one hope, monopolies tend to implode on themselves.

It's not really a religious movement, it's a white supremicist ideology. It's shared by most Republicans in spirit if not by that specific name.

I think you've got it backwards.

@rainmanjr I don't think so. White America will inevitably lose its grip on power in the near future, unless it resorts to a type of apartheid. Whites are superior, they believe, thus entitled to rule, regardless of whether or not their population bloc is numerically greatest and/or get the most votes. Therefore, democracy can be illegitimate, in their view, because white interests deserve to be served above all others, even if they ARE outvoted.
To justify this position, they claim the Bible, thus God, endorses it.
First comes the goal (white rule in perpetuity because whites are superior), then Christian teachings are shaped to justify that goal. Not that those teachings are themselves clear; the Bible is rife with contradictions, so that virtually any doctrine can be claimed to be "Christian."

Okay. I don't disagree with any of that so you win.

United States of America is an establishment of governmental terrorist oppression of a guise of secularism to cover it's secret theocracy submit to Authority-666 pay taxes capitalism slavery.

Word Level 8 Sep 10, 2022

I'm not a Monarchist but it does seem to me odd that America, which boasts endlessly of leaving the old world and Kings, has a President who is functionally, if not technically, above the law.

Or are you still expecting Trump in jail, and a bunch of secret service people there with him? Apparently it's law; they have to protect an ex President, even in jail. It'll never happen.

If you study American history you know there was a Civil War mid 19th Century. It was never settled. The Confederacy was a fascist element which still exists today. Still a civil war in the US.

It saddens me to say but I suspect you are correct. 😟

@barjoe that's a different issue. Yes, America never expunged the Confederacy, leaving it as a 'noble' failed challenge to the union, peddled by southerners and Hollywood. The issue I referred to is the absurd legalities of the Presidency which Trump and co have exploited perfectly. The President can pardon anyone, even connected to him and his crimes? Absurd. The President can't be charged while in office? Can't be pursued months before elections, which you have every 2 freaking years. Crazy. Your President has powers beyond a King. Everything is 'convention' which of course means nothing to the criminal.

@David1955 Trump and Co is the Confederacy.

@barjoe oh come now. The rich fascist corporate wing of the Republican party behind the push to authoritarianize America is far wider than left over Confederacy types. Essentially they've decided that the Faux politics of your binary political party system has had its day and its time run things their way.

@David1955 If you study American history, Republicans were the progressive party up until the election of 1876. Democrats at the time were the party of the Confederacy. GOP Rutherford B Hayes literally stole the election from Democrat Samuel Tilden who agreed to sacrifice becoming president in order to end Reconstruction and allow the south to usher in Jim Crow laws. Southerners continued to vote Democrat for the next 90 years until Nixon's southern strategy which capitalized on LBJ's civil rights laws to get southern whites to vote Republican. That's been the case ever since and Trump took it to a new level of white supremacy in the guise of Christian Nationalism.

I have no time for the emotional delinquents and mental midgets that are the evangelical right and the MAGA mob.

I expect that Charles III will be a benign king.

They all are. Figurehead and a drone on society.

@barjoe The crown contributes more money to the state than it receives in state grants, from which grants it has to pay the costs of running the great palaces, and of entertaining visiting heads of state, etc. The US presidents have all this paid for them, and do their best to avoid paying taxes. So who are the "leeches" or drones?

@Petter I'm sorry for your loss.

Yet is more tolerant of a huge diversity of faiths and non-faith.

Maybe

Is it official that he will be Charles III? He is allowed to choose. Sooo I Googled it: According to Buckingham Palace, Charles will be known as King Charles III. He will not be King Charles of Wales. There had been media speculation that he could have opted for another name, such as Arthur or George. He will inherit other titles, such as head of the Church of England and of the Commonwealth. Before his mother’s death, he held the title of Prince of Wales. [washingtonpost.com]

His son William is now Prince of Wales. The family business. Much like the Corleone family in the Godfather.

@barjoe Just much more powerful than the Corleones.

@HippieChick58 Yet benignly so.

@HippieChick58, @barjoe William is also now Duke of Cornwall and leader of Scotland.

@Petter And head of the Church of England... From watching the Royal family over the years I wouldn't want to be in their church.

@HippieChick58 You aren't.

@Petter I attended an Episcopal church a couple of times, that is the American version of the CofE.

@HippieChick58 Only because Godfather was a work of fiction.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:685853
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.