Agnostic.com

5 2

LINK Ken Burns Compares DeSantis’ Martha’s Vineyard Shipment of Migrants to the Holocaust: ‘Straight Out of the Authoritarian Playbook’ (Video)

Some of the migrants DeSantis flew to Martha's Vineyard and lured them on to the plane by telling them they'd be going to Boston for expedited work papers. Reverse freedom fighters, truly immoral but also likely a crime. Section 274(a)(1)(A)(ii) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, it's a federal crime to knowingly transport undocumented persons across state lines. Right out of Hitler's playbook.

barjoe 9 Sep 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The authoritarian playbook: [s3.documentcloud.org]

Read in light of DeSantis agenda and actions.

Did Burns so much compare this stunt to the Holocaust itself, or just highlight the authoritarian nature of DeSantis? He was speaking in context of promoting his new documentary so lines may have gotten blurred.

I do think DeSantis and the new breed of Rethug demagogue are playing the game of a German jurist and political theorist, Carl Schmitt, who happened to have come along with the rise of Nazis. [theconversation.com]

DeSantis really seems to be converging upon Orban and other far right authoritarian European leaders.

It would be great if they could get him a cell right next to Trump's. But of course, like Trump, nothing will happen to DeSatan either.

Anytime someone compares something to the holocaust, or someone to Hitler; the odds are overwhelming you're listening to a fool or a liar.

Hitler is dead, but there are plenty of despots who came before him and after him. Ron DeSantis is working on it, Trump definitely is a Nazi imo as is Vladimir Putin and Lukashenko in Belarus among others. If that makes me a fool, so be it. If you think I'm a liar, that's you. Holocaust was unprecedented but that doesn't mean it can't happen again.

@barjoe And countless US allies, your point? And none of the autocrats you listed hold a candle to Hitler.

@Druvius Ken Burns used the term authoritarian, I think that's accurate. The only thing good that Hitler ever did was shoot himself in the mouth. They should all take that from his playbook.

Far as I know there are no gas chambers in Martha’s Vineyard. Maybe not Boston, either..

I wasn't putting an equivalency between this and the holocaust. If I did, I apologize.

@barjoe Ken Burns did πŸ₯΅

@rainmanjr Comparison not equivalency. Do you have any doubt Ron DeSantis would've been a Nazi? He is now.

@barjoe One shouldn't compare to The Holocaust because nothing has since reached that level. I think Ken was stretching on this. As for what Ron might have been I have no guess. My mind does not play in such sandboxes. He is a bit of dick but that doesn't make him a Nazi.

@rainmanjr Oh. He's a fucking Nazi. That being said, there is no equivalency to this act of staged human trafficking and the Nazi death camps during the Holocaust. The comparison is made more by the Yahoo! clickbait headline than by Ken Burns himself.

@barjoe Oh. Okay. This is why I don't read Yahoo. Ron is an ambitious Xtian zealot who could become a Nazi but, at this point, is merely an ambitious dick wasting money to elevate himself.

@rainmanjr Do you agree with this statement by Ken Burns? β€œThis is coming straight out of the authoritarian playbook,”

@barjoe Not @ this point, no. I am no fan of Ron, though. He certainly shows tendency toward Dictatorial power.

@rainmanjr I disagree. I hope he gets cancer of the dick.

@rainmanjr Umm he most definitely is leaning heavily in the authoritarian direction. Ken Burns is spot on there.

@rainmanjr I agree with you about Yahoo! click bait. There were links from WP, NYT, WSJ. All paywall sites. Yahoo is not. I don't like to post paywalled because nobody subscribes and they can't read then.

@barjoe And we thank you for that. I also don't.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:686853
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.