Agnostic.com

6 11

Ian!! For those in the path of the storm please stay safe. Put some of your bottled water in the freezer and it can be used as ice in your fridge if the power goes out. Fill the bathtub and that water can be used for toilet flushing, bathing, etc. Cook the food in your fridge so it can be eaten cold and so it will keep longer. In the morning toss pool furniture in the pool and check for anything that could become a projectile in high winds.

I have enough supplies for a week or more and have done this before. I may lose internet and/or power and not be online.

MizJ 8 Sep 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I gotta say, there's a sense of humor that Floridians have... I saw a note spray painted on some plywood there on the news: "No ice cream for you, Ian!". That little grin can at least pick you up for a day.

I feel for you people... 300,000 asked to evacuate. At least you're getting accustomed to it, having to deal every year. In California now with the fires, the worst we've had is the Paradise fire where 52,000 had to evactuate. Not as bad but at some point the drought will be over or any threatened housing will have burned. I don't know about your hurricanes. Oddly, we'd welcome some of that rain. Good luck. I feel for the animals in either case, especially pets who depend on us. I can't even think about the forest animals who've burned to death here... but I just did. At least there's some hope of surviving flood waters. These fires have been totally destructive. If our Redwoods burn I'm going to be really pissed.

Parts of Florida will likely get 10 inches of rain. I can already see the clouds from an outer band.

@MizJ Man... I lived in Ohio as a kid and in Oklahoma for some years later, so I've experienced severe weather, and I'm in awe of it, but what you guys have to put up with year after year is unbelievable. For a time I was keen on moving to Florida (Ocala, to ride thorobred horses) but I'm glad I didn't. I heard that Ian might dump 30" somewhere there. That has to be a mistake. Wouldn't that and the surge pretty much put the whole state under water?

I don't recall seeing this before but I just saw that there are bands of map/radar colors that indicate where winds are so strong that the meters can't register it. That's weird that they'd make them that way. What, it's of no interest? I've never heard of that.

@AlbertSchepis They drop sensors from the planes that fly into the storms that are capable of giving multiple sets of data. That allows accurate readings of the winds around the eyewall and the pressure.

here in the Ocala forest the big thing is to make sure our chainsaws are ready to go so we can clear the roads once the storm is past

At least the storms lose strength after passing over 50 miles of land, I have seen the difference in the destruction that distance can make. The flooding may be extensive over large areas of the state this time, hopefully you are safe.

@MizJ Safe as a bug in a rug. My wife and I live in a three story geodesic dome home made out of concrete. Guaranteed to over 240 mph winds. We actually have become the local shelter for family and friends. So far for Ian we have four guests that had to evacuate St. Petersburg. stocked up on food and water and have some solar for electricity if that goes out. I am positive We will be safe and I hope you will be as well

@joeandbarb I am getting a little water from under my front door. Am in the demo stage of some renovations so it's not much of an issue. Glad you are safe.

@joeandbarb Smart. I considered moving back east and the only way I'd do it is if I could find a GD. I looked for them and was surprised to find there aren't many. I've even looked at ones out here in California because of the fire risk, but yours is the first three story I've heard of. Good for you.

@AlbertSchepis actually its a two story with a coupula as the third. It was a kit from a company that no longer exists, We live in it while we are finishing it off and are having the time of our lives doing it.

@AlbertSchepis, @MizJ Hope you came through the storm ok. We lost power for about 12 hours and had to tie up some plants that were on the verge of falling over due to saturation on the soil. other than that we are fine

@joeandbarb I am dealing with the aftermath of a hurricane hitting my house with a new roof that should not have passed inspection last year. Luckily I had tarps and mold killer. I bought a couple of fans and an air mattress so I will get through this. Have power and internet 🙂

Take care and be safe!

Good tips! Stay safe!

Stay safe and sounds like you’re ready for the worst.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:688415
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.