Agnostic.com

7 13

LINK 'American Crusade': How the Supreme Court is weaponizing Christianity

Three years ago, constitutional attorney, atheist, author, and “fake Christian” Andrew Seidel wrote about the threat of Christian nationalism in his book The Founding Myth, arguing that we were never a “Christian Nation” in any real sense of that phrase. Yet even though we weren’t founded as a Christian country, and even though we won’t be a Christian-majority nation for much longer, those who pretend otherwise have plenty of power.

The hub of that power isn’t in Congress. It’s in the Supreme Court, where a right-wing majority has enforced conservative Christianity at the expense of church/state separation. It’s why Seidel’s latest book focuses on their actions and arguments.

In American Crusade: How the Supreme Court Is Weaponizing Religious Freedom, out today, Seidel takes a look at some of the most consequential church/state decisions this particular Court has made and how they affect us today. Even though the book was largely written before the most recent term—Seidel wrote an addendum for those who want an update—there’s no shortage of cases to dig into.

In the exclusive excerpt below, Seidel writes about how the Courts are central to the new Crusade to perpetuate white evangelical Christianity to the peril of all other Americans. ...

snytiger6 9 Sep 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Christian nationalist are being used outright by the obstructionist regressive republican fascists who are own by the wealthy and their corporations!!!

Christianity or common morality???

How about just puuurre bullshit? Tales of morbid brains?

@CuddyCruiser

Leaving the decision to kill babies up to the individual states is tales of morbid brains???

@CourtJester I’m talking about religion. And where the fuck in this article does it say anything about abortion or killing babies? Read it again.

@CuddyCruiser
I simply assumed that was what the liberal base is currently crying about.

@CourtJester Both Libs and Cons always cry about something, not just one side. And next time read before you make assumptions about anything.

Alabama isn’t New York and New York isn’t Alabama.

@CuddyCruiser

I’m currently based in Alabama. I do not identify as a reader and as a liberal, you’re required to respect that.

@CourtJester I respect political differences yes. But you mentioned abortion as being a part of this article when it wasn’t. And I do not identify as a liberal or a conservative, though I tend to lean more left because I belong to a labor union, and that is what the right is against, is organized labor and favors big business over working people.

@CuddyCruiser
I do love seeing union companies close shop. I will admit that. Paying lazy people to do less is a horrible business model for sure.

@CourtJester ok that’s fine if you would rather give more $$ to CEOS as opposed to giving more to working folks. That’s another difference between New York and Alabama. You have no rights there because of ‘Right to work’ laws where NY recognizes collective bargaining as a human right. but there will always be those who vote against their own interests. I’ve spent 40 years working in BOTH union and non union shops, and I’ll take union any time, better pay, better benefits. And don’t assume union members are lazy, because there is no truth to that. But there are ALWAYS going to be bad workers no matter where you go, union or not.

@CuddyCruiser

I’m a Dr. So I have no union. My dad was a retired marine that later went to work for GM and chose not to join the union.
I spent enough time around union workers and listened to them.
99% of union workers are lazy entitled POS.

@CuddyCruiser Said with care of course

@CourtJester Well you obviously don’t know shit when it comes to unions. And why don’t you come here and tell my coworkers what you just said about them being lazy.

And as for medical doctors, I have no use for MD’s. They don’t know Jack shit when it comes to building long term health, as the average one only gets anywhere between 2 to 12 hours of nutritional training, and that is the key to staying healthy, proper diet. Not only that, but most of them wind up getting cancer, heart disease, colon and prostate cancer in a lot of cases more than anyone else. I’ve kept a proper diet for the last 25 years, have only had 2 mild colds since then, and they only lasted for 2 or 3 days and had mild sniffles. And it has also been 40 years since I last visited an MD, but I had no choice as I had to do it for school requirements.

I hope it sells a billion copies. I’ll bet Big Christianity is surprised that SCOTUS wasn’t enough to force it upon the populace. If Dems hold Congress then they’ll have to regroup and further erode Congress. That’s if Dems win.

The argument in America that we are a "Christian Nation" has gotten stronger in my lifetime. What people are missing is that this is exactly why so many left England for here years ago. The King said you had to belong to the Church of England. People do not seem to get this.

They just don’t want to is more accurate.

They have deluded themselves into thinking that by hating, they are "doing god's work."

45 wanted to use fools faith to con his way into the White House and stay out of prison. That's why he appointed the correct fools to do that. Since, I have left christainity, I have seen how dangerous it is and glad I'm on a journey of enlightenment.

“Freedom of Religion” was the freedom to practice a religion different from the Church of England.

Or none at all. The populace forgot that fact pretty quickly, though.

@rainmanjr Yeah, many of the founding fathers were Deists, who didn't care for organized religion, even if they did believe in a god. The most religiously devout founder, James Maddison, who wrote the constitution. left god entirely out of it. He though involving the church in politics would corrupt the church, while Thomas Jefferson thought it would corrupt the government. It turns out they were both correct.

More signs of desperation from a disappearing segment of whack jobs. But even the newest Justices appointed by chumpbrain won’t be able to save anything because even if they stay on the bench for 30 plus years, it won’t change anything. It’s like trying to stop tides from going in and out.

The whack jobs are very powerful throughout the US.

@MsKathleen But they WILL NOT control my life, that much I know.

@CuddyCruiser Nor will I permit them to control mine.

@CuddyCruiser @KKGator I have news for you: they already do. The Supreme Court was appointed by their (actually NON-Christian) leader.

@MsKathleen In what way? They cannot and will not control what I think or believe; for one. And 2. Any such attempts to try will get ‘accidentally’ pushed onto a subway track. When it comes to my privacy and personal life, stay clear……that’s all.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:688667
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.