Agnostic.com

7 5

Types of philosophy

What kind do you model your view of life on?

Nihilism.
Existentialism.
Stoicism.
Hedonism.
Marxism.
Marxism Marxism.
Rationalism

• 2 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 6 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 0 votes
  • 8 votes
HockeyAndBeer 4 Oct 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

yes

Emme Level 7 Dec 2, 2022

I think I have my own -ism. I might could coin myownism. The philosophy of having my own -ism.

Word Level 8 Oct 6, 2022

Most of those philosophies have something to offer, and I have learned something from all of them. Though I don't see Marxism as a philosophy, and sadly you left out Epicurus who is perhaps my favourite.

I agree 100% with you comment about Epicurus....

Panbeism, a cross (ino) between plan beism and plagiarism where I steal the bits I want from all the other isms.

Per Wiki:
In an old controversy, rationalism was opposed to empiricism, where the rationalists believed that reality has an intrinsically logical structure...
Empiricism is an epistemological theory that holds that knowledge or justification comes only or primarily from sensory experience.
Existentialism is a form of philosophical inquiry that explores the problem of human existence and centers on the subjective experience of thinking, feeling, and acting. Existentialist thinkers frequently explore issues related to the meaning, purpose, and value of human existence.
Nihilism is ...a philosophy, or family of views within philosophy, that rejects generally accepted or fundamental aspects of human existence, such as objective truth, knowledge, morality, values, or meaning.
Stoicism is philosophy of personal eudaemonic virtue ethics informed by its system of logic and its views on the natural world, asserting that the practice of virtue is both necessary and sufficient to achieve eudaimoniaβ€”flourishing by means of living an ethical life.
Hedonism ...theories... that pleasure plays a central role in them. Psychological or motivational hedonism claims that human behavior is determined by desires to increase pleasure and to decrease pain. Normative or ethical hedonism, on the other hand, is not about how we actually act but how we ought to act: we should pursue pleasure and avoid pain.
Marxism is a ... method of socioeconomic analysis. (I'd say Marxism doesn't really belong with the rest, and is a antiquated and obsolete/naive concept on par with Rand's Objectivism).

I don't see that these concepts are mutually exclusive per se, and I personally lean toward a mixture of Rationalism, Existentialism, Stoicism, and Hedonism.

What, no hedonism?....

A tie between stoicism and rationalism, would best describe my stance. Hedonism is not far behind.

Wait! Where’s Empiricism? Tsk tsk, for shame! πŸ˜‰

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:689728
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.