Agnostic.com

2 5

My Republican senator is spearheading a plan to roll back the prescription price controls. He's using the old canard that price controls inhibit innovation. America does create more new drugs then other countries however when compared to smaller countries with price controls, it is obvious that price controls do not stop innovation.

[ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Lorajay 9 Oct 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think Americans rely too much on "medications" and simply getting off the hypochondria would help reduce demand. The popularity of back surgeries, even though they seem to actually return almost nobody to a physically active life, is proof of this. Chemo is another ridiculous therapy which saves almost nobody. The biggest threat to health is publicans.

I had two back surgeries. I have basically had no back issues since, compared to almost annual bouts of excruciating pain for weeks at a time. And chemo kept my ex alive for nearly nine years after her original diagnosis of metastatic breast cancer. It was rough, but she managed to have a pretty full life those years.

@Barnie2years Then I stand corrected in your cases. I don't research the ongoing lives of people who have surgeries so will admit having little authority other than having two beloved family members whom surgery didn't help and a few articles about the subject. I would not have either treatment for myself and do have lower back problems. I think regular massage would be a better thing to fully explore before consenting to surgery. So would Asian needle treatments (can't think of its name).

@rainmanjr acupuncture. I tried a variety of things, chiropractors, muscle relaxers, physical therapy, and exercise. Some provided temporary relief, but never long term. A CAT scan showed obviously bulging disks (I could see both on the slide, and normally I have no idea what Iā€™m looking at).

I agree that relying solely on drugs to cure all health issues is often ad medicine. I also think many drugs are very effective and I am thankful they have been discovered.

I tried to find tables indicating whether Americans use more drugs but instead only found table showing that we spend more on drugs because our drugs cost more. Many times our drugs cost as much as three or four times more than the same drug in other countries, I think Americans evidently do not use more drugs than many other countries because they spend about 70% as much as we do and their drugs are much cheaper.

They do however inhibit price gouging and profiteering, and in a country that literally worships money and the acquisition of wealth, such is blasphemy.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:689982
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.