Agnostic.com

6 11

LINK Unholy Catholic Ireland: Despite secular shift, many cling to Catholicism

For much of the past century, Ireland was practically synonymous with the Catholic Church. The Church was arguably the most powerful institution for generations of Irish people. But all that began to change in recent years and it’s happened faster than anyone could have anticipated. “Holy Catholic Ireland” is quickly turning unholy.

Ireland is now a place where the fastest growing “religious” demographic is people with no religious affiliation. The government is secularizing the default-Catholic school system to the point where they’re phasing out Christianity as the default option in many secondary schools. Abortion has been legalized. Same-sex marriage has been legalized. The blasphemy law has been repealed.

Maybe the biggest change, though, has been the reputation of the Catholic Church itself. It’s no longer seen as an influential, relevant institution. You’re far more likely to hear it referred to as the problem rather than the solution.

Dr. Hugh Turpin is a postdoctoral research associate at the University of Oxford’s School of Anthropology and Museum Ethnography who has been studying this phenomenon for years, using a variety of methods to examine the rejection of Catholicism in Ireland. His new book, Unholy Catholic Ireland: Religious Hypocrisy, Secular Morality, and Irish Irreligion (affiliate link), is a culmination of his research up to this point, looking closely at the causes and effects of a post-Catholic Ireland. ...

snytiger6 9 Oct 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I hope that the Irish throw off the yoke of the church, to find freedom from religion.

Hopefully Ireland is a bellweather.

For what? Nations that stay allied with The Vatican or other dogmatic terrorists?

@rainmanjr ""Holy Catholic Ireland” is quickly turning unholy."

@Flyingsaucesir maybe

KUBET999.Vip belongs to KUBET (also known as Thien Ha Bet – THABET), is one of the prestigious, top security and HIGHEST PAYING bookmakers run by Mr. Nguyen Phan Anh - CEO of KUBET 999. Tel: 0906390587. Head office: RCBC Plaza, Makati, Metro Manila, Philippines. Coming to KUBET 999, you will experience the pinnacle of entertainment technology because KUBET always applies new technology to the games, helping customers get the most authentic feeling!!

It’s true what they say…….every dog has his day.

Organized religion as a whole more and more appears to be that dog now. Boo hoo for you Jesus freaks

I wouldn't break out the Guinness just yet. Pope John Paul demonstrated how a charismatic Priest can revive a desire to join up and become pedophiles. If I were a pedophile (I'm not, incidentally) a Mission would still be where I'd try to go. Remaining allied to The Vatican makes it possible for them to reinvigorate those outposts.

Good for Ireland. I wish our country was in the same direction.

Catholics are losing the sexually and monetarily corrupt organization but retaining the basic ideas. That would suggest the organization can make a comeback unless something else pretty quickly fulfills the spiritual/community needs of people.

I don’t think that is actually correct…this disenchantment with the Catholic Church has happened over a very short couple of decades due to the large number of clerical scandals which have come to light, perpetrated on alter boys and the atrocities committed on unmarried mothers & their babies by the nuns in the Magdalen laundries. These are still relatively recent scandals and have shocked the Catholic population to the core. It has been the catalyst for all the reforms to happen so quickly, such as divorce, abortion, and same sex marriage and almost all the disaffected Catholics are in the generations who are aged 50 and under. Ireland has a large, young, educated population, many of them admit they no longer believe because they think the church has lost all moral authority and are only still Catholic in name only because they know it would hurt their parents to openly say they were atheist or even agnostic. It’s the older more conservative generations who really still identify as Catholic in any real way, and when they die off the majority of their children and grandchildren will probably not have any reason to even identify themselves nominally as Catholic. I know many Catholic families here in Northern Ireland and know for a fact this to be true up here too, although because of the political situation here and how religious affiliation is connected to national identity…Catholic = Irish, Protestant = British - its more likely that younger Catholics will continue to identify as such in larger proportions for some time than they do in the Republic.

@Marionville That's pretty much what I wrote but I'm not in Ireland so will concede your personal knowledge.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:690191
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.