Agnostic.com

8 0

On being a nerd

On being a nerd
While browsing and reading here, I decided our Ag edit(Agnostic) community must contain a greater than average percentage of nerds. The dictionary definition may vary slightly from mine tho...
When I say "nerd/s" I speak of people who are logic based, academic minded, seekers of truth. notwithstanding our own built in human flaws, prejudices, misconceptions
My purpose in this post is to ask how you think of yourself...
And perhaps you'd share some nerdy traits with the rest of us? I'll put mine in comments later

• 4 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 0 votes
njoy_life_2 7 Apr 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'd sorta promised to tell you-all about my nerdiness, and hadn't yet done so...
SO. "Hello everyone!
My name's Beverly, and I'm a nerd."
My nerdiness is rather concentrated in my love (read obsession) of books. When feeling shy, books are a wonderful camouflage, one actually looks like being alone was planned, instead of unavoidable.
Before the advent of personal computers, browsing encyclopedias was the total joy activity. Find an article on alchemy? I'll absorb it.
Skipping the stories not to my taste still left me scads to choose from.
But now, I find "an exposition of sleep has overcome me"..." And so, good night unto you all."

I would consider myself more of a goober

Proto Level 6 May 3, 2018

Reason is my default setting. Everything has a reason and looking for and adopting that premise gets me into all kinds of trouble. Liberals are often as guilty as conservatives for taking a position on a subject and then touting it as the only truth. The nerdy part of me also looks for ideas away from the norm. I love science and am good with math. Being an introvert also adds to ones nerdy status.

Indeed, fellow introvert, indeed!
And yes, that all of us have - at least some blind spots. A great case for examining one's own 'non - fact based beliefs'

When you said Ag I thought you meant agricultural

hehe Me too. 🙂

Again, apologies for my lack of foresight guys! *(blushing)

I used to do ludosport(competitive lightsaber dueling) I suppose that might classify me as nerdy.

I would classify that as geeky, as anything else within fandom. I consider nerd to more academic in nature.

@bingst inthink we can add the nerd aspect because we would learn actual fencing styles along with it.

@josh23452 haha

Nerd? I barely rate geek status.

Lol, we gotta love da geeks too!

I used to work in the tech industry, and by comparison, I was a pure hedonistic party animal. I did know some extroverted programmers. Yeah, those were the ones who looked at your shoes when they talked to you. And I can't pass up any episode of any show that David Attenborough narrates.

😀!

Depends on what you call a nerd. I an not a techie, but intellectual and scientific matters always interest me. I do not keep up with pop culture at all.

Sounds pretty nerdy to me. 😀

Yeah, you belong somewhere in the spectrum, imo.
Ty!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:69122
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.