Agnostic.com

4 7

October was my "renewal" month. Not only am I celebrating making it to the 66+ year mark, which I hope means I still have about 1/3 of my life yet to live, but I'm also celebrating 15 years since I started my life over on my own terms.

I call it my "renewal" month, not only for personal reflection, but also lots of things come up for renewal, my car registration, my PO box, my dental and health check ups, etc., it's just a good time for me to re-evaluate where I am and if I should make any changes.

I felt this past month was a bit of a milestone for me and so I treated myself to a few things I don't normally do.

When a photographer friend offered a mini-photo session for the holidays, I thought it was a good time to get some photos of just me, not me at work, or with my grandchildren, but just me, being me. Most of the photos she took are cute holiday themed, and I'll share them in the next month or two, but she also took a few just normal with only the foliage behind me.

The reason I thought it was a good idea to have a solo photo shoot, is that it occurred to me that when my mom died suddenly at 66+ years old, we didn't have a good recent photo of her, just some fuzzy snap shots to remember her, and some group shots taken at other funerals.

So, I figured I'd make it easy on my kids by having some current photos of me handy.

Even if I do make it to 99+ years old, I wouldn't mind it if some of the photos displayed at my funeral were of me before I get to the gray haired rocking chair stage.

I had never actually scheduled a photo shoot for just me before now, and I'm glad I did. I thought I'd have a minute to comb my hair first, but that didn't happen. Oh well. Next time! Maybe I'll do another photo shoot in the spring time to balance it out.

How often do you have photos taken of just you, not with your arm around your sweetie, or kids, but just you? It seems we hire a photographer to capture special events, but we seldom do just "because" and I think I would like to start doing this every few years going forward.

Julie808 8 Nov 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I haven't had a professional solo shoot since my fourties when my son asked me for one.

I have lots of camera happy friends though and some of them end up being solo but not really professionally done. I'm a Facebook addict so my kids and grandchildren will have lots of photos available.

I agree with you I think it's important for people to see you as you are currently as well as you were. How we look does not define us but it does illuminate our personality.

Yes, most of the photos I have of myself I am wearing something dictated to me by the event, or in the case of family photo shoots, we're asked to all wear pastels or whatever, and I have to scramble to meet the criteria. This way I'll have a few photos of me wearing my own clothes, and being myself, more in my own element.

If nothing else, there will be a recent photo of me to put on a milk carton if I ever go missing!

Not a fan of having my picture taken, never was. The last time I was at a professional photographer's was for my parents 60th wedding anniversary, about 11 years ago. And then it was all for family portraits. i don't even do many selfies, and those are generally to highlight my dog Barnie, with me as a background.

I don't like having my photo taken either, so I'm in the wrong business for that. I am in thousands of couple's wedding photos, but I'm often in the middle of talking so the photos usually look weird. Even for this recent solo photo shoot I had, I felt really self conscious, but the photographer has a knack for making me feel very comfortable. Family members might want to have a current photo of you, maybe you could pose with you and Barnie getting equal focus. Maybe a new photo every 10 years or so? Find a photographer who is good at putting subjects at ease. Makes a big difference.

Barnie be cuter.......

@AnneWimsey right! You met him! 😁

as a 55-year member of the working press, i was always behind the camera. the habit is still there.

I’ve never done so. Good on you for doing it!

It's never too late!

@Julie808 I do not like to be photographed. They always look like me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:693756
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.