Agnostic.com

12 2

Does absence make the heart grow fonder?

How often should you and your SO see each other?

This question is not geared towards married couples or people who have established, decade long relationships and the comfort level that comes along with that type of relationship.

• 2 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 9 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 4 votes
AgentAdamAnt 4 Apr 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've always been one to appreciate my own company. I need my own space sometimes just to recharge but then I've never been in the kind of relationship where I could get compassion or understanding from my partner. Maybe if the right man were to enter into my life, my need for alone time would be different.

I think it depends on the couple's setting a standard when they start getting more serious about their relationship. Personally, I find time apart, regularly, makes it so much more exciting and keeps the relationship fresh. My ex traveled for three weeks at a time working abroad so when he came home, it was like the honeymoon started all over every time. We didn't have time to get in a rut.

I like to live my life when I’m not with a significant other. Rather than dwelling on the fact that we aren’t in each others’ company, I’m just going to keep doing and pursuing whatever is it that I want. I’m very career oriented and enjoy doing things with friends in my down time.

If a week or two goes by and we don’t see each other, no big deal, I will still talk/text but I don’t want the pressure of having to plan every detail of my life with someone else, I want to do my thing and let her do her do her thing. I won’t sleep around, and hope to find someone I can trust in that capacity, but seeing each other every day is not a requirement or that much fun until the rapport and intimacy are built up over time.

Can't say I believe that, as I think prolonged absence can cause depression.

Not really. People who allow this kind of separation in relationships are not actually doing the relationship, they're either putting it on hiatus, or they are making it worse. Nothing annoys me more than when a woman expresses strong interest in me, but doesn't know how to deal with me, to give me a reason to draw out my positives.

I thought absence makes the heart go yonder!

I'm very much 'out of sight, out of mind'.

For me - no.
Absence is absence.
I deal with here and now.
That's not to say I throw commitment aside once out the door, I just don't really miss those who aren't present.
. Like touring with a band while married.
I remained monogomous, gaining some funny stories along the way.... "baby, I don't wanna fuck, just get me high " ?

I think a couple should spend at least 14 days out of 90 together for it to be considered a relationship....but for me it was different. I was deployed for combat operations in Iraq in 2006 for 18 months....sooooo she got lonely and I got screwed

That sucks that you got screwed.

Thank you for your service.

Not in relationship right now so wait and see mode.

We are both over 65 and i personally do not need to have him see me cutting my toenails, nor do i wish to share the remote.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:69381
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.