Agnostic.com

6 13

Gibberish message from a man was fun to answer.

HIM: Why do I think I would really really like you and you would be easy to be next to!!

My reply: Your message is confusing. At Wenatchee High School, students are taught to write compound (run-on) sentences. You would fit right in. As a volunteer college mentor, I introduce students to the period.

I separated your questions and tried to clarify them. It appears you are asking:

"Why do I think I would really really like you? Why do I think you would be easy to be next to?"

Beats me. Only you can answer these questions. Kathleen

His reply: I love it! So is a compound sentence incorrect or illegal? Don't forget I was a dance major and we improvised a lot. Btw how are high school kids doing these days?

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One of your super powers seems to be to pull all the weirdos out of the woodwork.

In doing so, she is providing us with entertainment. I hope she never stops. 🙂

I hope you are keeping these as they would make a fun book to read. You sure attract interesting characters. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Dec 4, 2022

That is an interesting use of the word "interesting". 😉

When I was on dating sites, that is one I would probably have simply ignored and not bother answering, unless I found his profile to be unusually interesting and he was geographically close to me. Then I might just reply, "I don't know." Or I might ask a question or mention something we have in common, to give him a chance to reply with a more structured response. (Not all people who communicate with run-on sentences in casual situations are 100% bad!)

I like to assume the best in people, giving some grace until they prove to me they are unworthy of any grace. No need to be hurtful. In this case, I'd check the profile to determine if this person would make a good friend and activity partner, despite run-on sentences. There are worse crimes.

With dating, there is bit of a give and take. I live in a small town type location, where it's very possible I will see the same folks on the dating sites in real life in social situations, so it could greatly backfire on me to be snarky. People talk. So a little grace goes a long way. They might have a single friend who has a better command of the language and is a great communicator!

My thought is that first contact is often just a quick and easy attempt at communication. Most men are likely scrolling through the site, late at night, perhaps on a phone with dim lighting, sleepy, so not putting much thought into their outgoing feeler messages. They likely know that even a super thoughtful first inquiry, written in a fully alert state, can result in being a waste of time. There's a good chance that the target is busy, no longer active on the site, already seeing someone, or simply not going to be interested.

That said, I'm a stickler for a someone who can construct a full sentence with decent spelling and grammar. Sadly, both the significant men in my life were terrible communicators and had poor grammar. I admit to thinking less of my ex-husband even chastising him for it and worked for 29 years to get him to use proper grammar, to no avail. We worked together to write up his speeches and letters for work.

The ex-boyfriend I was with for several years communicated mostly through text, which was nearly always undecipherable to me. I'm sure I misunderstood a lot of what he typed, but I also took on the challenge to try to figure out what he meant. With the talk to text app he used, he rarely proofread his messages before sending. Perhaps that is the case with many of the dating apps too.

The way I read his question is he is wanting you talk about yourself and qualities that would make you likable and easy to be with for him. I think he thinks highly of himself……..

Chances are even he could not answer them. Today we live in a world where others write us on dating sites to explain why they would not want to date us.

I might have asked "What makes you that that I am, or would be, interested in you? What do you offer?"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:698505
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.