Agnostic.com

5 9

Back to the mask--not only for Covid, but RSV. I have avoided getting the flu for over 20 years and get my flu vaccine, but still . . . precautions never hurt. We old people need to take care of ourselves.

#Flu
Gwendolyn2018 9 Dec 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The stat that I go back to is that for the previous 2 years the flu rates have been lower. Gee, more people wearing masks have anything to do with that?

I'm going to start wearing my mask again. I notice coughing and sneezing where spit and mist travels over 5 feet. I hope others do not think I have come to rob the stagecoach.

Yep, I'm thankful that I live in an area where it's pretty common these past few years for the "elderly" in our community to wear masks, and we don't feel out of place at all. It's pretty much expected that some of us older folks have to protect our health, by wearing a mask when it makes sense to do so.

I'm also thankful that I was vaccinated with the flu shot, pneumonia vaccine as well as the newest bivalent covid vaccine, prior to visiting with family members recently, who were all sick with flu, but I didn't get sick at all.

Could that be thanks to the Asian cultures on the island ?

@Fernapple Yes, that and the fact that Hawaiian culture also respects the elders in the community, no matter what ethnicity. Our mayor (Japanese) was very big on sharing the message of wearing masks to protect the "kupuna" the elderly in our community. During the brunt of the pandemic, before vaccines, we had "kupuna" shopping hours, where the elderly could shop an hour before the stores were open to the general public, to provide a safer shopping experience for those over 65.

@Julie808 That's brilliant.

Always was a good idea in the modern world. And has been commonplace in parts of Asia for years, where it is seen as quite a normal and respectful health measure.

I never stopped wearing a mask despite the odd looks and occasional nastiness. A couple of weeks ago a clerk in a convenience store made me wait for fuel I had paid for, no one else waited, no one else wore a mask. When I see others wearing one I give them a thumbs up for not being selfish and potentially making others ill.

MizJ Level 8 Dec 12, 2022
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:699847
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.