Agnostic.com

16 0

How many Languages do you speak?

How many languages do you speak?
This is my latest attempt to find out more about everyone in our community.

I have said before i am Canadian and i am from Montreal, Quebec. I was born in a city called Westmount. In Westmount french was my first language but once i started primary school i learned english. Now due to changing times, most people there speak english. i am a bit rusty now since being in America so long.I can totally understand french but i am very rusty when speaking. See what nearly 30 Years of America can do to you!

twshield 8 Dec 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

English, of course (being Australian, a more "proper" form), and at one time (a quarter century ago) I was fluent in German. I am attempting to learn Spanish and Dutch.

Ozman Level 7 Dec 19, 2017

English and some high school French.

English and 5 of the computer programming languages.

@irascible Mine are SQL, C++, C#, Java, and Python.

In order of ability:

English, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Italian and French.

I have a smattering of several others and have even tried a bit of Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Quechua, Romanian, Romani (Gypsy) and Basque. (And Klingon to see how they made it.)

If you learn one you find it easier to learn others. If you become proficient in another language and USE IT you will develop a different personality in that language. (I'm much more cheerful and optimistic in Spanish.)

Remember, the dirty words are the first ones you must learn ...in any language. I told that to my students.

A former Spanish teacher insisted that we be aware of the swearwords.

My current teacher is Argentinian and IMHO a bit too mojigata though.

Dear, I never met an Argentinean that was "mojigata" ....and I lived in Buenos Aires 29 years.

Btw, i learned about teaching the bad words (lol) from my professor of italian.... Who said "as long as you insult me in italian is ok"

3 - Russian, English,Latvian. Can understand couple words in Italian,Polish. Started to learn Albanian but it is very difficult language

I get to the point

English , the British version.
Slang, as in "Excuse my French"

English, carpenterese, rock climber, and getting pretty good at Appalachian hillbilly. Oh, and domestic short hair feline.

2 English and slang.

I grew up speaking English and received a minor degree in Spanish. Years later I understand more than I can speak.

Fluently SPANISH and ENGLISH..I can communicate in Italian and French (also some dirty words in Ukrainian...LOL)

In addition to my native language of English, I also speak Germany. I became fluent in German 55 years ago, but have not spoken German on a daily basis for many years. I have lost vocabulary, but once I hear German or want to speak in German, I automatically switch to thinking in German. As an adult, once a person learns to think in a language, he or she never completely loses the ability to speak the language.

I'm currently proficient in French and Spanish and am beginning to learn Italian.

And each one will help you to learn / improve the others. Romance Languages.

@DUCHESSA Quite so. Eventually, I intend to expand to Portuguese and potentially Catalan.

I AM PRETTY SURE YOU ALREADY CAN READ CATALÁN. HAVE YOU TRIED?
Si lees / hablas español puedes leer catalán.

English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Dutch, Romanian, Bulgarian, Russian, Japanese, Portuguese, Greek. Not all fluently but a lot of a little and a little of some.

SamL Level 7 Dec 7, 2017

Wow, Sam! That's so impressive!!

?????? ?????

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7007
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.