Agnostic.com

10 7

LINK Quarterback Josh Rosen, Now an Arizona Cardinal, Is the NFL’s Only Open Atheist – Friendly Atheist

Rosen’s never been as outspoken about his religious beliefs as he has about his political ones. (He’s not a fan of Donald Trump.) So I’ll be curious to see if his lack of faith becomes a part of his story in the NFL.

Maybe after one of his post-game interviews, we’ll hear him not thank God.

At the same time, Rosen is also noteworthy for being a Jewish quarterback, another rarity. While he isn’t religious, His father is Jewish and Rosen has been the subject of anti-Semitic slurs on the field.

His faith background is, in any case, uncommon in the NFL. In a league where people like Tim Tebow are known as much for their faith as for their abilities, and every team has an official chaplain, it’s an open question as to how he’ll be received.

zblaze 7 Apr 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

At least if he wins a Super Bowl he won't be thanking the Lord for helping him win.

@iamjc Why do they prefer their players use opioid instead of pot for pain management. It's called STUPID!

I am waiting for a president to 'come of of the closet' and say he/she is an atheist... Or make it easy and we just need Neil DeGrasse Tyson to run 😛

He won't be the first cardinal that doesn't believe and he won't be the last.

I don't think his non-belief will offend anyone, as long as he wins.

I hate the false humility of athletes who credit god for making them better than their opponents. Just one time I'd love to seen a losing coach say, "We were the better team and should have won, but god basically fucked us."

JimG Level 8 May 1, 2018

LMAAO

Hopefully he'll be accepted, or otherwise, based solely on his talent and personality. If he wins a Superbowl for them he could become the first atheist god, at least to Cardinal's fans lol

In the nfl I only care of those who can play. While they can play... You want to impress me? Show me the first Communist Player.

Have you had one come out as gay yet? We have in rugby and he has done adverts for guiness

@273kelvin yes.... first did it after years of retirement..... a couple years ago a linebacker in college declared himself gay before the draft.... I am sure cost him place were he was drafted but i don't even now if still in the roster.... nfl ignored any publicity of that type. My comment was because being atheist never been that big of a deal for me but it will be interesting if a superstar says JUST PAY ME THE AVERAGE SALARY OF ALL PLAYERS IN THE ROSTER INSTEAD OF SUPERSTAR SALARY. Now there are a few ordained ministers.

@GipsyOfNewSpain We have a few footballers (soccer) after they retired.

@273kelvin it is a shame we stole the use of "football" it is seldom kicked! We should called something else. Like tackleball.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Gridiron works for me. Oh and btw you didn`t steal it, it is just the US that missuses the term. The rest of the world says american football.

@273kelvin yeah I know and call rugby australian football.

@GipsyOfNewSpain No, you have Australian rules football (which doesn`t seem to have any rules at all) gaelic football. Then rugby of which there is rugby union and rugby league.

@GipsyOfNewSpain The ironic thing is in gridiron its called a touchdown but you dont have to touch it down, just carry it over the line. Whereas in rugby you do have to physically touch it down but its called a try lol

@273kelvin Yeah I heard the term Australian rules football.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Take a look its the weirdest of sports. With the most gayest of uniforms.

As a quarterback, I'm sure there's going to be a lot of prayers offered for him to be successful on the field.... but there'll also be plentiful blasphemy when he's intercepted or gets tackled for a loss. Am I the only one who was somewhat pleased when God decided that Tebow wasn't going to be an NFL superstar?

Arian Foster, a running back for the Texans 'came out' as an atheist in 2015. He's no longer in the league.

of course, with Foster, it was injuries. RB's don't last long in the league, the game is too brutal.

I didn't realize he is an atheist, good to know, thanks for posting.

I did poke around for some clarification (sometimes claimed celebrity atheists are not exactly that), but so far it seems that's at least "about right".

I live in Arizona and am a Jewish Atheist, and although not a "huge" fan of the Cardinals, I do follow and root for them when I can, and I'm glad they landed someone who seems to be a good quarterback.

I wish the Cardinals had gone hard after Nick Foles, who I've been following and rooting for since he was a University of Arizona quarterback, and he also recently was quarterback for the Eagles in their Super Bowl victory. This is a bit ironic because Foles is famously super-Christian, but sometimes I become a fan and then find that out and it doesn't stop me from being a fan.

kmaz Level 7 Apr 30, 2018

I like him even more!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:70143
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.