Agnostic.com

11 7

I can't date any more Christians. I just got divorced from a Christian, and I find myself dating another. What is wrong with me, will I ever learn? I've been seeing her for a little over a month. She has two teenaged girls and an eleven-year-old son from her previous marriage. Things were going great, and then I was eating dinner with her family, and the topic of homosexuality at school came up. The oldest daughter was complaining about this lesbian girl in her gym class, and she called her a dike. My first thought was Christine (her mother/my girlfriend) would correct this behavior, well to my surprise she didn't, her response was, well, she'll get what she has coming to her on judgment day. I put my knife and fork down on the plate, I stood up and excused myself from the table, I grabbed my coat and headed out the door. Christine called me and asked what was wrong, my response was loose my number, and don't call me back (a bit dramatic I suppose, but what I wanted to say was much worse)

paul1967 8 Dec 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hey Paul1967, you should find yourself a girl for what she's got inside her head not what kind of religious book she reads. religious people tend to be brainwashed on some issues no changing that

haslr Level 3 Dec 15, 2017

To date "because loneliness" is as "nice" as to put your underwear backward.

Yeah I would've noped that from space. Nopety nope nope nope. Churchgoats smh...

Listen, Paul... Does Christine think there is a difference in iniquity between two girls going at it and and a man and woman, not married to each other, doing the same thing? If she does, and presuming you guys have had carnal knowledge, she may want to go back to catechism class or Sunday school or whatever.

We hadn't, but your point is well taken because she absolutely has had sex outside of marriage. For us, it was only our third date, but the topic of sex was discussed.

Best you found out about them fairly quickly, but I think I'd have stayed and said something like "is that what all of you believe? It's unacceptable to refer to gays like that" then see what happens.

In your situation I would have wanted to do the same - but I doubt I would have had the guts to do it.

If this was recently and if Christine calls you, I think you at least owe her an explanation. You never know - it might make her re-evaluate a few things.

I agree and I did speak to her today. She did a complete 180 and she apologized for her statement. I forgave her but I don't trust it's genuine. People don't typically reevaluate those kind of beliefs that quickly. Maybe I'm being too hard on her but I think I would rather be overly skeptical and wrong than be accepting and be wrong.

@paul1967 She may never have thought about it before. It may have been an automatic response based on a background she has never felt the need to question.

(I accidently hit the flag on your comment thinking it was the reply tab. Admin, please ignore.)

Ugh. That has to be a heck of an assault on your emotions, @Paul1967, compounding what you went through with your divorce.

I agree with @VictoriaNotes, though, about coloring all Christians the same. I wasn't a bigot when I was religious. One of the things that keeps me tolerant is watching my mother and sister who are both Christians, but they are also the most tolerant, giving people I've ever known and they do it without judging.

About not risking a relationship with a believer, I dunno ... I love a Christian who's breaking my heart with it, but the dating pool sure gets shallow without them. And I like to believe that at least some of them are good people considering that's where I came from.

I've tried to connect with people on this website but it's really hard to get to know someone over text. There is someone that lives very close to me that I find attractive but unfortunately it wasn't mutual. It is what it is and all you can do is keep trying

Yeah, I agree, VictoriaNotes ... I wouldn't want to hold back on what I feel or think, and I tend to be a wee bit anti-authoritarian everything myself, so I get it. Living like that in society is bad enough without it coloring my personal life. Sometimes, tho, I want to just shout to them, "What the fuck??? Is this REALLY that big a deal? Am I less caring, less interesting, less supportive, less intelligent just because I don't go to your church?"

And I know there are those believers who are just toeing the line because that's what's expected in life and in business. Kind of like belonging to the right country club. They'll eventually find their way out, just like we did.

I admire your spunk. I have dated many women in my life and only one I know of was a non-believer. The rest were probably Christian but not strong Christians. So the subject just never came up. But my dating wasn't looking for a wife. I was just looking to get laid and hoping it would turn into a stable relationship. I have always enjoyed living alone, even though I've been married twice and had several long term relationships. Being with believers is easy if neither is trying to mess with the others beliefs.

You did the best thing. Someone that gives her child this kind of "education" can't be a good person and you obviously don't need someone like this in your life. I am 21 years old and my dad (he is also Christian) insulted homosexuals his whole life, since I was a child. He always told me how disgusting they are and that I should stay away from them. I NEVER thought that he was right even if he raised me with this mentality I don't think that there is something wrong in being homosexual. Homosexuality is not normal but a pregnant virgin is normal??? People need to have an own brain and THINK.

Alexa Level 5 Dec 7, 2017

Respect

I’m surprised you made it a month knowing that she was a Christian. Kudos to you for walking away.

I agree with Gramz. Maybe some of these hateful attitudes will change if they meet with some honest disapproval. Church bubbles probably shield them from much of that, leaving such awfulness unchallenged.

Zster Level 8 Dec 7, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7020
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.