Agnostic.com

7 2

Safe Spaces

Is anyone else tired with this idea of "Safe Spaces"?

Like any place where you might hear an opinion that is not your own becomes an "unsafe space"?

There's a good quote from Robert A Heinlein.
"I've never learnt anything from a person who agreed with me"

I think this is a good thing. We need to start learning about each other and where we get our perspectives from. I've talked with people in person and on this site who will express their opinion like it is the only one that matters, then when I begin to deconstruct their opinion, they begin to take personal offence, begin to insult me personally and make me out to seem like the bad guy.

I'm just naturally curious and I understand that we can't learn it we don't talk. I'll talk to my enemies in the same way I'll talk to my friends. I just see it as stimulating discussion.

• 9 votes
  • 8 votes
  • 7 votes
Lancer 7 Dec 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We should set universal ground rules for discussing and debating issues. Those ground rules should include he following"

1. When asked to do so, you will make explicit your unstated assumptions so that they can be examined.

2. You must support any assertion with proven facts and/or well-grounded, sound rational reasoning.

3. If you cannot back up an assertion with facts and/or well-grounded rational thought, you will either cede the point or simply stop discussing the point.

4. You will not engage in attempting to use labels to stifle or misdirect discourse.

5. You will not use uncivil language or attempt to insult the other person (s)

In public political debates, your must directly answer the question asked. If your response does not address the question, you will be warned. If, in 30 seconds, you still do not address the question, the debate will move on to another candidate.

You're no fun.

This is exactly what safe spaces should be, by their intent.

I mostly agree but there are certain times when this is not possible. When 2 people with 2 different perspectives and each had a different set of memories to back up their claims, then it becomes difficult to identify who is correct.

For example lets use the asians are bad drivers stereotype.
Say one British man lives in asia and he sees 1 crash a week. He can say asians are bad drivers. Mainly because he is the only british man driving in his city and he has never seen a british driver crash his car.

But when he voices his opinion, another british man goes to shut it down, claiming it's racist. The 2nd man who has only lived in britian and is out on holiday would say that british drivers are bad. Mainly because he has only ever seen british people in car accidents.

Not the best example. But it just shows how when we use our personal experiences as evidence, a grey area of "what is perceived to be truth" occurs.

I've never heard the words 'safe space' to mean anything other than a real 'space'. Everyone else seems to have varying opinions as to what it means. The term 'safe space' has obviously evolved.

A safe space for me is alone on a tall mountain looking over the landscape and being amazed. No ones talking.

A safe space is not a place without conflict. A safe space is where marginalization is not permitted. I would argue that we need to understand that and embrace that. The parody that is portrayed by conservative media and the entertainment industry is the paradox of tolerance, but the premise of safe spaces sprung up as a means of preventing that exact paradox.

"Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance"
[en.wikipedia.org]

A safe space is simply a space that is not safe for bigots. We can argue about abortion and religion and politics in a safe space, but don't start going after people. This sprung up around the LGBT community back before they even got the Q. I try to make safe spaces wherever I go, in the original sense. I will argue everything, but I won't tolerate attacks on people.

Haven't there always been safe spaces, otherwise, how did we get Little Italy, China Town, etc. and neighborhoods and communities that are predominantly populated with one culture.

Western countries are more diverse and yet segregation occurs because people of similar backgrounds feel more comfortable in a familiar environment. The free expression of culture, traditions, and religion are encouraged with the hope of bringing the best of each yet there is evidence of divisiveness.

With this history, it is only natural that this generation has found their own "Safe Space" specifically defined for their needs.

I agree that there is more to learn when opinions and perspectives differ, it is the only way to broaden one's own perspective and gain a better understanding.

As has been said...Bad habits are hard to break.

Betty Level 8 Dec 7, 2017

The incivility of extremist --religious, right wing, and left wing - But particularly from religious true believers and right wing, reactionary ideologues and demagogues is willfully tearing our country apart. It is destructive to every aspect of our democratic society. It inhibits dialogue, rational thought and problem-solving, civil discourse and engagement and so much more. It is designed to sabotage those things and create chaos so that a small group can assert illegitimate control. It is to be detested!

I love a good debate! I am open minded and will listen and try to understand the other persons point of view. I don't take it personal when their views differ from mine. I'm always curious and will to learn something new. I am also able to change my point of view, if they have a valid argument. When a person gets argumentative and starts to attack me personally: I consider the debate over and I am the victor!!!

I completely agree with most of what you say. The only place I differ is that I would continue the discussion even if the person was being argumentative and attacking me, I wouldn't consider myself the victor. I would take a break to leave them calm down and then I would re-engage in the discussion with them.

@Lancer

Would that not depend on the person you are having the discussion with? If that person has upped the level to verbal attack is there not the potential for that level to become physical?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel when a person has no more "rational or logical" rebuttals they resort to attacks.

I understand both your concerns. I take the stance of "don't attack unless attacked first" and I always think a few seconds forward as to how a person might attack me from their position, posture, skill, etc.

I agree it is difficult for an aggressive person to come back to their senses but I would wait for them to calm down. Because nothing is resolved if we simply walk away. If every person in the world got up and left when they were verbally harassed then we would be an entire race of triggered, self-satisfied and arrogant believers that we were righteous in our actions.

We need discussion and we need to wait for the other side to compose themselves, that could mean walking away and coming back or it could mean changing the way we persuade them. We can't always change others but we can always change ourselves.

@Lancer

My mom used to say when two bulls butt heads all they have to show for it is a headache.

Your method is not one I would choose to use. Different strokes for different folks. 🙂

@Lancer What is a Safe Space anyway? Do you have some kind of description to reference?

To a normal person I'd say a safe space is a place where you aren't ridiculed or insulted for your opinion. A place where you can say what you truly believe and where you can also discuss your perspective with different people safely and respectfully.

To an easily triggered person I'd say it would be the event horizon of a black hole, from which even light cannot escape. No clashes of opinions, no arguments, no "hate speech" or racism, no sexism or aggression. Just pure physics and bone crushing pressures.

@Lancer it is clear that you have no idea what a "Safe Place" is. It has nothing to do with not having a clash of opinions or arguments both of these happen in safe places all the time.
You are right that racism, sexism, hate speech and bullying are not allowed. It allows the least entitled to express their opinions equally to the most entitled. it stops the most aggressive entitled people from dominating the conversation. I am one of those aggressive entitled people but, recognize that ideas come from everyone and sometimes the best come from the least among us, its called respect.

I think we need to get rid of this "entitled" idea. No matter how well off someone appears, they still have to go through hell in life. I came from a very fortunate background but that doesn't mean I never experienced unfortunate circumstances.

We shouldn't hear more from less entitled people and less from more entitled people. We should hear from everyone equally. That's the only way we can benefit as a group or society. We benefit when everyone has equal say in the matter.

I would never assume someone is entitled or not based on what they have or what they don't. Some of the happiest people in the world have the least wealth. Also assuming that entitled people are aggressive is quite an arrogant allegation don't you think?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7035
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.