Agnostic.com

18 3

Does your significant other share your belief?

How are you coping with life, living with a god believer. Are they wanting to put up a tree for this holiday? Do you just follow them and keep quiet?

BucketlistBob 8 Dec 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My now ex-wife is more agnostic than atheist, but she shared a lot of atheistic views so it was never an issue. We always put up trees. It doesn't make a difference to me. We celebrate the commercialized Christmas. 🙂

if is your partner... why not make your partner happy? Seeing joy in my partner brings me joy to me. Maybe that is why I don't have a partner... No need to Compromise.

I'm sorry brother... maybe so. There's a million people out there waiting on you to talk to and eventually meet.

Well before he left this realm no, but he was also all over the place particularly at his twilight.
He was an avid collector of writing all things chaos magick and didn't dismiss a god out of hand.
I think when it became apparent that my atheism was solidifying it did bother him at times but we didn't fight about it.
We did early on have a mutual fascination with TOPY, and that tbh is still a fun concept to me, but I see it more as a means of focusing one's mind. I just don't have the wherewithal or desire to dabble in it right now and don't want to feed superstitious thinking, which I think things of that sort do to people and was one of the things that concerned me at times.

I'm recently divorced. I've found a beautiful agnostic lady to spend time with. But as far as traditional holiday activities, even before the divorce it was me who put up the tree, got holiday music on and did many of the other holiday activities. Here's why.

1. It normalizes the kids experience with their peers. They won't be ostracized for being different.
  2. Many of the traditions are not really Christian but Roman or pagan. It isn't really religious to decorate an evergreen.
  3. Many holiday traditions are fun. Presents, hot cocoa, eggnog, flashing lights, singing and many more activities are really enjoyable whether you believe or not.
  4. While I suppose I can see valid argument for not celebrating a holiday that some people make religious,it seems just a little like making a big deal about it just makes you a Debbie Downer not really a true crusader for truth. Lighten up and enjoy life.

Good for you! I agree. Be who you are. Understand what things mean. Don't be supercritical. Have fun!

I've been single since ever I didn't want someone around me that will just copy what my family does and bother me while I'm trying to enjoy life, but even if I would convince her there is no god then her friends, family, ect. would just bother her as much as they do me which I'm used to but I would rather have her hate me then every one hate her and blame me.

Ok....good answer.

She was once a practicing catholic but not anymore.She believes in a god and an afterlife ,but I have succeeded In convincing her religions are nonsense . We both do not believe in celebrating religious holidays but do it for other family members

I understand

She does. Though she does not feel that its worth the time or effort to discuss, debate, or get involved in. With her. The tree, gifts, ect are all about the grand and great grand children, and making sure no-one gets left out. The kids have their religions, and know that we don't. They don't push religion, and we don't kick them out the door. We just all love and care for each other.

I feel the same.

She would if I had one.

My hand doesn't talk much.

My wife is Catholic but hasn't been to church is several years. She accepts my and our daughter's atheism seemingly without any ill will.

gearl Level 8 Dec 7, 2017

While I'm divorced now, my ex-wife and I both left the faith we had long practiced during the same period of time. We ended up in different places, but the fact that we were both moving away from the same thing actually brought us closer together. One benefit - neither of us remains in our old community where everyone knew us as a couple. Lots less need to explain our divorce this way!

That's cool brother. I hope things work out for you. Sounds like the beginning of a love story. Keep it going!

My wife was Baptist and not very religious. Her family thought we Jews made the best husbands.

Lol.

My wife is a believer,but had the sense to ditch the catholic religion years ago after a priest actually kicked her butt out of the confession booth,after he asked her to go to confession more often and she said she did not want to do so. I try not to talk to her about this subject because it just causes a disagreement. But after 32 years we manage to cope with our differences .She does not believe in religious holidays .

Yes, my signicant other share's my belief. She believes she will meet me someday! 🙂

skado Level 9 Dec 7, 2017

That’s a good one lol

...been my mantra every time I reshuffle the deck of cards.

My wife Catharina is of Dutch origin. She has lots of superstitious ideas in her head. She also subcribes to the quackery of Homeopathic 'medicine' but nowhere near as bad as her 'fruit loop' sister. She also believes in an 'after life' ect. I've learnt to adapt to living with someone who has an entirely different view of life than me. We get along just fine.

Great answer brother... I'm the same as you.

Me too.

I have the same situation

Nope she doesn't. The subject rarely comes up. She will put up a tree at her house and mine will have no tree, as usual. We each live in our own house. It works for us.

You both live in different houses ,How the hell did you manage that . A lot of guys are wishing they were you right now

That's what matters.

@richiegtt --- Just one of those things I fell into.

Two smart people will have the Solution before the Problem. That's "Serious Significant Other". Congratulations in Solving the Puzzle, the Riddle, the Conundrum!

Spouse sees God as everything and everywhere, certainly not some monotheism thing - thank God! 😉 She doesn't like how I'm so vocal about my non-theism and anti-religion stance, so we avoid the topic for the most part.

yes both my dogs believe as much as i do

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7036
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.