Agnostic.com

3 4

Horrible story out of Baton Rouge. A 7 year old girl killed by a pit bull.
I'm a dog lover but I think this breed should be exterminated.
[theadvocate.com]

Secretguy 7 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They have a screechy unnerving bark when they get revved up. A girlfriend had a Staffordshire that was pretty scary to be around. But I’ve been around others that are fairly chill. There are quite a few other dangerous breeds out there besides pits. Are we going to eliminate bull terriers too? Chows?

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Another girlfriend had a Rottie that growled menacingly at me when I first met him but he was a sweetheart after that. Rotties are dangerous because their imposing size. They could hurt someone by being overly friendly.

Dobermans have a bad reputation too. Again chows?

Chihuahuas are snippy. Small breeds prone to bite don’t seem to get the bad press.

Part of the problem with pits is the sort of person that gets one and why they do. The others might be innate temperament yielding a more aggressive tendency and they are a stout powerful dog. Bad combo when that happens.

Since dog breeds were created by man, it is up to man to "uncreate" them, either by not letting them breed, or by cross breeding for docility, and selecting the most docile.

@Petter
I think they might have been bred for inhumane uses like bull baiting. That same demeanor makes them useful in hog hunting, which I see as having an ecological purpose. Yet a dog that packed with several others that can stop and bring down a wild boar is kinda sketchy as a house pet. But there are other imposing powerful breeds.

I know someone who had a lab-pit mix who was friendly and never scary. A friend I knew in my 20s had a chihuahua-pit mix (his longhair got loose and knocked up) and he was the one of the coolest little dogs I ever met. Think toy pit. Loved tug of war.

Having been the owner of a dangerous pit bull, I regrettably agree with you. I still have love for that dog, and I know well how pit bulls can display the humanity and personality that endear dogs to us. Where is the dividing line? How much pit merits death? Perhaps animal shelters shouldn't release them?

@racocn8
Whenever I’ve looked online at available dogs for adoption from a shelter a majority are pits or “mixed”.

I had a German Shepherd when I was a kid we had to give away because her tendency to bite others. She was sweet to me. I had a smaller hound type that was as ornery, but not as physically imposing.

Everyone should own a rat terrier or toy fox terrier.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:703979
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.