Agnostic.com

8 7

LINK Presidents ranked from worst to best CBS News

Donald Trump is only the 3rd worst. This poll is rigged. Stop the steal! I also think there's a case to be made for Washington as GOAT.

barjoe 9 Jan 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

@barjoe, who were CBS’s judges and what were their criteria?

There nobody living who voted before FDR.

@barjoe Of effing course;.

For you, I edited my comment. I took out the 2nd sentence.

Well, I think a number of presidents on this list deserve much lower rankings, but these things are all very subjective.

I agree. Truman, Eisenhower and Wilson are rated way too high.

@barjoe I certainly wouldn't argue with that.

Does anyone really think that George W. Bush believed Hussein had WMDs? I sure don't.

I'll answer that - I say he possibly did because Cheney convinced him to believe. Having worked in military intelligence, I doubt more than a small group of analysts believed it either. The executive branch cherry picked the reports.
I never experienced anything of that magnitude, however I did have a report nullified and I was told the military was sticking with past evaluations of a target I had worked on in North Korea. I assessed that a "seaplane landing facility" was not only inactive, it was unusable and most likelya dummy target. A case like that wasn't going to cause a war, so I figured, let them waste a missile. Another time, a guy asked me for help locating a radio antenna - it wasn't where the military coordinates placed it. I found it about 600 yards away. He opted to go with the coordinates listed and some random building. That's how civilians die (I was in a different department by then or he would have had to use my assessment). Hopefully, by the time we did go to war with that country, over a decade later, that target had been reevaluated.

@Beowulfsfriend Thank you for your insight. "W" was not known to be the brightest person by any means, and Cheyney was a powerful manipulator-just the way the GOP likes to run things. Cheyney, in my opinion, was the functioning president.

One person’s perception.

The first thing they got wrong was calling Andrew Johnson a Republican. Johnson was a Democrat who ran with Lincoln. That isn't a good start for a history backed look at things.
Right now, it feels like a toss-up for the bottom 3. Time will give more assessment to tRump's damages, and those damages continue.

I like that Grant made it into the top half. He was a true hero and our first (one of the few) Civil Rights presidents. Underrated.

He had his issues but Carter is neck to neck with the likes of Andrew Jackson? And William McKinley who got us into the Spanish-American war so TR could grandstand, and whose ghost talked some guy into trying to assassinate TR, is two places better than Carter? Ridiculous ranking.

Reagan wasn’t really there for the last part of his presidency and they failed to mention Iran-Contra and starting the trend of heavy deficit spending. He also escalated the war on drugs started by Nixon, though Clinton would accelerate mass incarceration of blacks. Reagan’s rhetoric inspired way too many future wannabes and worse.

Lyndon Johnson did some good domestically but there’s Vietnam under false pretenses of the Gulf of Tonkin. Harry Truman helped set the stage for Vietnam by not doing more to keep the French from returning to their colony. A mess.

Who could like Ike for coups in Guatemala and Iran and handing the Bay of Pigs plan over to Kennedy to enact? Regime change anyone? He did help us get interstates though, an immense public good.

JFK kept his cool during the Cuban Missile Crisis! Nuff said.

TR had his warts but still made a speech after surviving an assassination attempt that evil McKinley’s ghost inspired. He also risked his life in a trek through the Amazon after his presidency. Tough dude.

FDR was literally the poster boy for term limits.

Reagan destroyed the manufacturing sector and unions. He and Bush 1 fucked the US into a consumer economy, and made giving most of the weath to only a few elite.

That actually looks worth reading. I wonder if anyone would argue against FDR as first. My dad said the people were ecstatic with his life saving measures. Anyway thanks, I'll read that tonight.

Reagan and the Bushs worked to destroy everything FDR did.

@Beowulfsfriend Republicans all do.

What do/did you think about it?

@LucyLoohoo Thank you for the reminder. I'm sorry, I concede that I haven't gotten to it yet. I've fallen way behind on my responsibilities and am struggling to keep my head above water. I think Joe posts a lot of good stuff and this one interests me in particular because sometimes a comparative analysis helps put things in perspective. Anyway, I will try to get to that today and see if it helps me, particularly in light of the above comments.

@LovinLarge Ohhhh...I understand! There's just SO MUCH TO READ.....I get it.

@LucyLoohoo Okay, thanks to you I finally got around to this article. FYI the Siena College Research Institute in NY is a Catholic institution. The ranking is based on a survey of "presidential scholars" and has been conducted 7 times since 1982.

I really would have liked to see much more information to justify the rankings. In particular, I think they should have said a lot more about Trump, in particular how he mismanaged the pandemic and at least made note that he has the dubious distinction if being a one term president. Other fudgers like Nixon and GWB should have been down there bringing up the tail end, all things considered. Reagan should be down there with them in view of his assault on the middle class including unions, taxation, civil rights, deregulation and AIDS. Clinton also brought disrepute to the office and is quite overrated by this survey, in my view.

There were also some who could have fared better, like Carter who did what he could at the time. Taft sounds like an interesting guy, I wish they'd discussed his term more. Both Adam's and also Polk had profound effects on the country and could be placed higher. Obama was stronger domestically than on foreign policy but he is a great man who did the best he could and we are better for it. Johnson also deserves a boost for his civil rights work.

Generally, it would have been more helpful if they'd detailed the pros and cons of each office although I did learn from the scant information included. I found the negatives got more airtime than the positives though and I would have liked to see them be at least equal. I was not raised or educated in the US so my presidential knowledge is mostly through reading and is quite lacking, I'm sure. I may not have agreed with the article but I did find it informative.

@LovinLarge I completely agree with you re: Carter and Johnson. Sometimes, circumstances are just insurmountable! Thanks for the summary....I don't trust Catholic summaries.

Interesting, although....I'd like to know more about their criteria. I sincerely hope the PUSTULE has seen this!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:704059
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.