Agnostic.com

5 11

LINK Types of Atheists (Psychology of Atheism Part 1) - YouTube

Types of Atheists (Psychology of Atheism Part 1)

HippieChick58 9 Jan 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One important item missing is how people, both religionists and atheists feel about the word atheist. Over the centuries it has come to designate something negative, godless. Some, as myself, feel it is a positive view so god free. Still the negative view still exists and some of us avoid using the word atheist in describing our view. We need a more positive view and the Brights came along to provide that positive word (the Brights group was quickly mentioned). Maybe the need for a new terminology is in another study.
I also know even the humanist ideology has different levels and some tout an expanded view of the importance of humans. I left one humanist (their idea that humans in humanism wasn't enough) and joined another 'Free Inquiry' who placed an anthropocentric view as human hubris.

Very well explained. Although I'm a bit in the camp of not caring whether there is or isn't a god, I would still consider myself to be an Explicit Atheist, Naturalist, who is dependent on Science and Reason for my Humanist Worldview.

This graph ignores the elephant in the room “which god or gods do you believe in and which do you not?” Everybody (well nearly every literate person) has gods which he/she believes do not exist (hard Athiest, the giant spaghetti monster, at least). There have been, after all some 3000-7000 gods invented by human cultures, plus money and power which many worship as their god. Xtians assert (without any sort of proof or evidence) that one can only have their god as the only one.

I sure wish my Dad were still here. I know what I can't be bothered with (like church and that dogma) but I've never considered there was such a range of terminology to explain it all.
I suppose it depends on how important it is to each person.
My Dad studied the Bible. He said to me one time, "You should read it sometime, it's full of great stories." He identified as atheist.

The buybull is full of amazing stories. They are just that, stories. Written by humans to control other humans, especially non majority and female populations.

@HippieChick58 Pretty much what my Dad thought. He was the youngest born to a mother who was VERY Catholic. He was suppose to be a priest, Clearly that did not work out🙂.

The more false the product you are trying to sell, the more attractive you have to make the advert, and that applies to the high and sacred arts as well. Therefore the better the art the more you should distrust it as a source of truth.

The Chinese do not have concept or word for God and the nearest equivalent would be the word ziran, which the Jesuits wrongly translated as God. Ziran means nature or way of life and is probably closer to Daoism. However, from my experience most of the people that I met in China had no religious belief and they regarded the notion of God as bullshit.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:705055
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.